Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

clankenau
Frequent Visitor

Creating relationships between two text files

I'm unable to create a relationship between two text files in Power BI.  The first text file (Shipping Cost) contains two columns (Pick Ticket & Shipping Cost) while the second text file (Shipping) contains many columns including the Pick Ticket.  I keep getting the error that a relationship cannot be created because one column has to have unique values.  

The first file (Shipping Cost) has unique values of Pick tickets (there are no duplicates) however the second text file (Shipping) column for Pick Tickets contains duplicate pick tickets.

Ultimately, I'm trying to link the shipping cost in the first text file (Shipping Cost) to the Pick tickets in the second text file (Shipping). 

I'm a beginner to Power BI and this is my first post so please let me know if I need to add any additional informaiton or the best way to share my data.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @clankenau,

As msornakumar suggested, to ensure the uniqueness of Pick Tickets , you can count the records for each Pick Ticket.

Besides, please remove duplicates (in query editor, right click the Pick Tickets field in first file) and create relationship again.

1.PNG

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
msornakumar
Advocate III
Advocate III

Hi ,

Per your statment , below you are trying to relate shipping cost to pick tickets. Is that a typo ? Are you trying to relate Pick tickets to Pick Tickets. ?

Ultimately, I'm trying to link the shipping cost in the first text file (Shipping Cost) to the Pick tickets in the second text file (Shipping). 

To ensure the uniqueness of Pick Tickets , you can try building a quick visualization similar to below and filter on Count > 1

Uniqueness.png

Thanks

Sorna

That was a typo.  I'm trying to link the pick ticket in each file.

Shipping Cost.PNG

Hi @clankenau,

As msornakumar suggested, to ensure the uniqueness of Pick Tickets , you can count the records for each Pick Ticket.

Besides, please remove duplicates (in query editor, right click the Pick Tickets field in first file) and create relationship again.

1.PNG

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.