Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mfaber
Frequent Visitor

Creating relationships between one to multiple tables

Hi,

I have two data tables and two assist tables, one assist is a calender table and the other is for filters. (As I need unique values to create a relationship between two columns)

I have a Product Category column in both data tables. For example I have two visuals, one is based on DataTable1_Product Category and the other is based on  DataTable2_Product Category, both tables containing multiple values that means creating relationship between these two is not possible (as far as I know one of them has to contain unique values only). So I created an assist table containing only the unique Product Category values called filter table, to create a relationship between the assist table's Product Category and both the data table's Product Category columns. But here comes the issue, it only allows one of these relationships to be active and now one of my visuals is not filtered.

Is there any solution to this?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The reason for the error message is, that you enabeld "Cross filter direction" into "both" directions.

Change this option to "single" for your existing relationships - then you are allowed to create more relationships on your "_filter" tables.

(I uploaded a corrected verision of your pbix-file to your onedrive share.)

Does this solve your issue?

Markus Ehrenmueller-Jensen
@MEhrenmueller

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @mfaber

Can you share some data and the model diagram to find a suitable solution.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi @CheenuSing

I can't share the whole table, but I created a sample for Excel and Power BI and I uploaded them here:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApNIcC8uXzkkguRt25dR0TI3SuPzJA

It's just a quick sample, my issue is that the slicers doesn't affect both cards, just one (the one with the active relationship).

The reason for the error message is, that you enabeld "Cross filter direction" into "both" directions.

Change this option to "single" for your existing relationships - then you are allowed to create more relationships on your "_filter" tables.

(I uploaded a corrected verision of your pbix-file to your onedrive share.)

Does this solve your issue?

Markus Ehrenmueller-Jensen
@MEhrenmueller

@MEhrenmueller

I couldn't find the file you uploaded, but I did the changes in my own and it works, thank you!

I tried changing it to single and both too, but I haven't touched the calendar table's relationships, and the 'both's there were the problem, between the YYYYMM columns.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

March 2024 PBI Gallery Image

Power BI Monthly Update - March 2024

Check out the March 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.