Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tstackhouse
Helper III
Helper III

Creating relationship without unique values

Hello All, 

I have been try to create a relationship between two columns in power BI but I am getting the message "You cant create a relationship between these two columsn because one of the columns must have unique values".

I have created the same relationship in Tableu and built a report with a few measures to verify aginst existing reports (which did match)

I have tried to look this up on the forums but I do not seem to have found a solution that works for me. Below I have two snaps from Power Bi and Tableu to give a visual.

Thanks,

Ty

PBI Capture.PNGTab Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @tstackhouse

Power BI supports, 1:1, 1:M, M:1 relationships only, not M :M. But there is a work around for this.

Option 1. Create a relationship/ bridge table to handleM:M

Option 2. Create a Unique column in your current tables ( For example: By concatenating 2 columns to make the values unique).

Thanks

Raj 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Faye1901
Helper I
Helper I

Hi there,

I have a similar problem which I can't seem to resolve with this solution. I also want to create a relationship without unique values. Steps I've taken:
1. Appended query from my two tables - this didn't append properly as both my columns [Project Code] appeared separately but nonetheless I then ...
2. Removed all other columns but the [Project Code 1] and [Project Code 2] that I wanted to append.
Now I get two columns with corresponding null values in each column - see below. If I filter one or other column to remove the nulls the corresponding column reduces in length so I lose my data. Any idea how I can remove the nulls from each column and append as one? Or do I need to understand why the Append Query as new didn't work in the first place?
Failed append.PNG

Thanks
Faye

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @tstackhouse

Power BI supports, 1:1, 1:M, M:1 relationships only, not M :M. But there is a work around for this.

Option 1. Create a relationship/ bridge table to handleM:M

Option 2. Create a Unique column in your current tables ( For example: By concatenating 2 columns to make the values unique).

Thanks

Raj 

I have the same problem but this time with dates. I have two different tables I want to show these records on a single line graph showing how they both performed on specific dates. Obviously this means some dates will have multiple records. So it will not be unique. How do i go around this?

Firrhos
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I think this is what you are looking for. 🙂 https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/cansql/2016/12/19/relationships-in-power-bi-fixing-one-of-the-co...

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,

Tristan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.