Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sariaz
Employee
Employee

Creating power BI dashboard based on different Job ids

Hi,

I am trying to see if this requirement can be full filled using power bi.

We have a pipeline where users can upload their script. Once the script is uploaded other users can run then when required. Each run of the script creates a jobid and raw data. The rawdata is stored in a table whose name is same as job id.

Now the goal is along with raw data user should also see some dashboard created using the raw data. So bascially when we onboard a script we can as user to provide a templatized dashboard which just needs to fetch data from a table based on the job id.

We are using pulse for dashboard purpose currently which provides a solutioin where any time user clicks on the job id we pass the job id in the URL for the pulse dashboard link. The pulse dashboard reads from the URL the job id and fetches the data. Example code below. We want to move out of pulse and move to power bi. Is this something feasible in power bi where it will read data from different tables based on the run time input?

declare @tablename nvarchar(200)
set @tablename = N'[' + @jobid + N'_Analysis]'

declare @t nvarchar(4000)
set @t = N'
if not exists(select top 1 1 from ' + @tablename + ')
begin
Select ''No data found for this segment'' as ErrorMessage
end
else
begin
SELECT
* from ' + @tablename + '
end'
exec sp_executesql @t
2 REPLIES 2
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @sariaz ,

the simple answer is no.

Power BI leveraged data stores that are based on the schem-on-read paradigm.

This means you have to create the tables in advance and then provide a mechanism  to provide different dashboard to the user.

To learn about Power BI in general I recommend this site:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/powerplatform/power-bi?WT.mc_id=powerbi_landingpage-docs-link

You might consider Power BI embedded: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/embedding#:~:text=Power%20BI%20Embedded....

Hopefully, this provides some new ideas.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hi @TomMartens ;

I already have the table defined and it has data. So i have say 3 tables Table1; Table2; Table3. All of them has same schema and different data. If user clicks on Table 1 (say a link) then the Power BI dashboard should use data from Table 1. If user clicks on Table 2 the power bi dashboard struture should remain same but it should just refreh the data to Table 2. 

Let me know if that clarifies the question.

Thanks

Samim Riaz

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors