Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Creating parameter/template using column

Hi folks, 

Need help with something I'm working on. Trying to create a PBIT file, with a simple dataset, it has one table and 6 columns. I want it so that when user opens up the PBIT file they have to choose their TeamName via a drop down (there are a number of teams in the dataset), which I'd like to be populated using the TeamName column in the DB. Source is an Azure SQL DB (s/shots below of dataset):

Screenshot (97).png

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JontyB
Advocate I
Advocate I

@Anonymous i havent used this in any of my reports... yet, however from my understanding of your question you need to have a parameter set up and a list of your teams. create a duplicate of your official data and remove all other columns apart from your teamname column. once you have just this column you need to convert it to a list (transform -> any column -> convert to list) you then click manage parameters -> new parameter and create a parameter, give it a name, type is "text" suggested values = "query" then select your list from the Query dropdown. you will have to add a default value, once that is done go back to your original table (official data) and selet the filter option on the column you want to filter by, i think it is TeamName in your screenshot. and in the filter select text filter and equals, then the dropdown to the left of the "enter or select value" dropdown select parameter and select your parameter name from the drop down, save this as a pbit file and when you open it it will prompt you to select a team name. finger crossed ive been able to explain this simply. any questions just let me know  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
JontyB
Advocate I
Advocate I

@Anonymous i havent used this in any of my reports... yet, however from my understanding of your question you need to have a parameter set up and a list of your teams. create a duplicate of your official data and remove all other columns apart from your teamname column. once you have just this column you need to convert it to a list (transform -> any column -> convert to list) you then click manage parameters -> new parameter and create a parameter, give it a name, type is "text" suggested values = "query" then select your list from the Query dropdown. you will have to add a default value, once that is done go back to your original table (official data) and selet the filter option on the column you want to filter by, i think it is TeamName in your screenshot. and in the filter select text filter and equals, then the dropdown to the left of the "enter or select value" dropdown select parameter and select your parameter name from the drop down, save this as a pbit file and when you open it it will prompt you to select a team name. finger crossed ive been able to explain this simply. any questions just let me know  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Perfect thank you 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.