Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Creating new table with counts of distinct values; help

Hello all,

I have a table with 30 000 rows.  One column in this row has a string value.  There are only 40 some distinct values that can be in this column.

I want to create a new table, which lists the distinct values in one column, and then in the second column, a count of how many times that value appears.  I am very new to PowerBI, and have looked at perhaps a dozen tutorials and forum posts with no solution...

So far, I have created the new table trying to show the distinct values in the first column:

Table = DISTINCT(Sheet1[StringValue])

My latest attempt to fill the 2nd column with the corresponding counts failed when I tried this:

Column = calculate(countrows(sheet1),allexcept(Sheet1,Sheet1[StringValue]))

Also, I must be missing something fundamental about Tables.  My table is blank until I add that 2nd column.  I assumed that Table = DISTINCT(Sheet1[StringValue]) would return at least one column with data...  but it doesn't.  Only after I add a second column will any data be present.

Thank you in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ok so something like =SUMMARIZE(FILTER(Table1,Table1[StingValue]<>blank()),Table1[StingValue]) should work

// if this is a solution please mark as such. Kudos always appreciated.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Kobur

The following worked for me;

example. Say you have a table Q3, with a column Manufacturer which repeats and you want to create a table called Manufacturers with only Distinct Manufactures and the occurrence of each

Go to "new table" under "modeling" tab

Use the expression below

Manufacturers = SUMMARIZE(Q3, Q3[Manufacturer], "Totals", COUNT(Q3[Manufacturer]))

This will create a table as below

Manufacturers           Totals

Daimler                        256

BMW                            200

samdthompson
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi welcome to our community. Try making a new table:

1. on ribbon click modelling

2. click New Table

3. enter formula =SUMMARIZE(Sheet1[StringValue])

4. Create relationship between the tables based on the string

5. Create second column on the new table =Calculate(counta(stringValue),filter(Sheet1))

This should give you the distinct list. Perhaps the better solution would be to make a table or matrix in powerbi. it will give the you ability to show a count pretty easily.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the welcome and for the reply.

Unfortunately, I can't create a relationship because there is no column in the original speadsheet with all unique values.  I suppose I could add a column to that in order to create one with unique values...  but is this necessary?

I tried to create the 2nd column anyway usuing your calculate() formula, but it appears that it needs a 2nd argument for filter().

It's all a bit mind numbing since if I throw the column [stringvalue] into a pie chart it shows me the counts for each value without a problem!  The trick seems to be getting it in a tabular form...

You can create a relationship as you are creating a unique table of values. Its the =summarize() that will create your unique ID.

The format for the argument containing the filter will be =Calculate(counta(sheet1[stringValue]),filter(Sheet1)=table[StringValue])

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah right, but I have a null/blank value generated from summarize, so I can't use that as my unique ID.  Is there a way to filter out blank values from the summarize function?

ok so something like =SUMMARIZE(FILTER(Table1,Table1[StingValue]<>blank()),Table1[StingValue]) should work

Anonymous
Not applicable

Perfect.  Thank you.

I also, managed to get the counts in the 2nd column using CALCULATE(Counta(Sheet1[StringValue]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[StringValue]))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.