Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tilldunk
Frequent Visitor

Creating new table out of existing one

Hello,

I got a table with a time column and severeal component columns (in this example only five components, in reality distinctly more):

7.PNG

What I am trying to do is creating a new table as a new query out of selected columns (as below) but still keep the original query/table.

8.PNG

The only way I achieved this goal was to create a new query for every selected column (in this example time, comp1, comp2) and then append these new queries. In fact, if you only have five components it is pretty easy and fast to manage but in reality I got a whole bunch of columns and new queries I want to extract.

My question is therefore as follows: Is there any way to somehow copy selected columns out of the original table and- by one step- paste them into a new query?

Any help will be highly appreciated, 

best regards,

Till

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tilldunk,

You can try to add a blank query source with below formulas.

let
    Source = Table.SelectColumns('Original Source Name',{'Column Name','Column Name2'})
in
    Source

Sample:

let
    Source = Table.SelectColumns(Sheet3,{"Country","Col A"})
in
    Source

10.PNG9.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tilldunk,

You can try to add a blank query source with below formulas.

let
    Source = Table.SelectColumns('Original Source Name',{'Column Name','Column Name2'})
in
    Source

Sample:

let
    Source = Table.SelectColumns(Sheet3,{"Country","Col A"})
in
    Source

10.PNG9.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hello,

Trying to create a new query from the existing "Master" Query using below formula:

let
in
Source

which works fine, however I am looking to see if there is any other formula which would do the same but in a way that it will create the new query with a range of columns , for example Column 20- 67, basically not needing to write all the column names one by one.

Thank you in advance

I am not able to do the same. Getting below error.

Table create error.JPG

Works totally fine, thank you!

Best regards, Till

bsas
Post Patron
Post Patron

Hi @tilldunk,

You can duplicate table (then delete what you want) in query mode or use "copy entire table" and then past it in new table.

Untitled.png     Untitled.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.