Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mayyap
Frequent Visitor

Creating new data in a row depending on criteria comparing two tables

Hi,

I have a problem which I have been mulling over for ages, so hopefully someone here can help me solve the issue.

I have Table A with multiple fields (too many to list), and another master table with just one column containing unique loan numbers. I want to compare Table A and this master table, and say if the loan number in the master table is not found in Table A, then create a new row in Table A with the field "LOAN" with the loan number, field "INTEREST" with "Guarantor", and the other fields null.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @mayyap,

To achieve your requirement, I think you can try Power Query. Please refer to following method:

Since you didn't share us your sample data. I have assumed it like below:

Table A and Master table:

11.PNG22.PNG

1. Go to Edit Queries, choose Merge Queries and expand the columns:

33.PNG44.PNG

2. Replace Table A.INTEREST value null to "Guarantor".

55.PNG

The entire M query is like:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlSK1YlWMgKTxmDSBEyagkkzpdhYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Loan number" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Loan number", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type",{"Loan number"},#"Table A",{"Loan number"},"Table A",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Table A" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Table A", {"Loan number", "Item", "INTEREST"}, {"Table A.Loan number", "Table A.Item", "Table A.INTEREST"}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Expanded Table A",null,each if [Table A.Loan number] is null then "Guarantor" else [Table A.INTEREST],Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Table A.INTEREST"})
in
    #"Replaced Value"

If above sample doesn't satisfy you. Please share us your table structure and some sample data which can help us make some tests. Also it will give us a right direction if you can share us the desired result based on your sample data.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mayyap
Frequent Visitor

Sorry for not replying earlier, and also for not posting sample data. The main reason was because I was thinking of ways to explain my situation without going too deep into detail. But I have come up with sample data to better illustrate.

The situation is this:

A loan has several interested parties (borrower, investor, guarantor etc.) Each interested party can play several roles at the same time, i.e. interested party A can be a borrower and a guarantor at the same time. Each interested party can also be tied to several loans, and play different roles in each loan.

I have a table that lists out each loan's interested party and the respective role/interest they play in that loan. Let's call this table "INTEREST".

IPT_Sample.PNG

Here is the loan number master table:

LoanMaster_sample.PNG

As you can see from the first table, loan 1002 doesn't have a guarantor. I want to compare both tables and say that if the loan doesn't have a guarantor, please add a row in table "INTEREST" as such:

Result_sample.PNG

I would like to be able to do this for multiple loans at the same time, and without having to duplicate the "INTEREST" table and filtering out the non-guarantor parties.

Thanks in advance!!!

v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @mayyap,

To achieve your requirement, I think you can try Power Query. Please refer to following method:

Since you didn't share us your sample data. I have assumed it like below:

Table A and Master table:

11.PNG22.PNG

1. Go to Edit Queries, choose Merge Queries and expand the columns:

33.PNG44.PNG

2. Replace Table A.INTEREST value null to "Guarantor".

55.PNG

The entire M query is like:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlSK1YlWMgKTxmDSBEyagkkzpdhYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Loan number" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Loan number", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type",{"Loan number"},#"Table A",{"Loan number"},"Table A",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Table A" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Table A", {"Loan number", "Item", "INTEREST"}, {"Table A.Loan number", "Table A.Item", "Table A.INTEREST"}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Expanded Table A",null,each if [Table A.Loan number] is null then "Guarantor" else [Table A.INTEREST],Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Table A.INTEREST"})
in
    #"Replaced Value"

If above sample doesn't satisfy you. Please share us your table structure and some sample data which can help us make some tests. Also it will give us a right direction if you can share us the desired result based on your sample data.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Vvelardebailed me out on a similar kind of thing although I guess it depends on whether you want to do this in M or DAX but I would think that the potential technique would be the same.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/quot-Add-quot-a-missing-row/m-p/364379#M164689

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.