Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Creating new Column for Shift by comparing Time from 2 dataset

Hello Everyone, I'm sorry if this is against the rules.
I already post a question before: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Create-a-new-column-for-shift-based-on-datetime-column-and-...

after searching for some solutions in these forums, I found someone post long ago that already asked the same thing that I ask now. https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Comparing-Time-in-PowerBI-and-Creating-a-new-column/td-p/13... 

I try to use the solution in that post, but I got stuck, I don't know what's wrong with the formula. Here the contents in my Advanced Editor are as below:

let
Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\jonathan.parulian\Downloads\Machine.xlsx"), null, true),
Machine_Schedule_Sheet = Source{[Item="Machine_Schedule",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Machine_Schedule_Sheet, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Machine", type text}, {"Room", type text}, {"Start", type datetime}, {"End", type datetime}}),
#"Removed Blank Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each not List.IsEmpty(List.RemoveMatchingItems(Record.FieldValues(_), {"", null}))),
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Blank Rows", "Shift", each (x) => Table.Last(Table.SelectRows(Shift, each [Start Shift] <= DateTime.Time(x[Start])))[Shift])
in
#"Added Custom"

I don't know what to do next after I implement the solution that I got from that link.

jonathangabe_0-1634027265463.png

After I clicked the Function, what value should I input there?

jonathangabe_1-1634027305969.png

If I input some number or text, I got some warning error

jonathangabe_2-1634027518088.png

What should I do next? 

Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Try just to add custom column. Something like this:

Table.AddColumn(prev_step, "Shift", each if Time.From([start])>=Time.From("22:00:00") then 3 else if Time.From([start])>=Time.From("14:00:00") then 2 else if Time.From([start])>=Time.From("06:00:00") then 1 else 1).

You can make your conditions more flexible, this is just example.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous It isn't clear what you expect to achieve...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous thank you for your reply.

I want to create a column that defines the Shift category for each data I have. Below is the picture data that I have. 

Machine DataMachine Data

Shift time categoryShift time category

I'm sorry if I'm not clear in explaining what I want to achieve.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Try just to add custom column. Something like this:

Table.AddColumn(prev_step, "Shift", each if Time.From([start])>=Time.From("22:00:00") then 3 else if Time.From([start])>=Time.From("14:00:00") then 2 else if Time.From([start])>=Time.From("06:00:00") then 1 else 1).

You can make your conditions more flexible, this is just example.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Thank you for your reply.

I already try the solution you give, it's most likely the best solution I can use, maybe I won't have to use the other table that has the Shift Category, but this should work just fine.

Thank you so much for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.