Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DCTedi
Frequent Visitor

Creating my own primary keys. Data source has none.

I would enjoy anyone's opinion on using addIndex in Query Editor to use as a primary key in my dimEmployee table and dimVendor table, respectively.

The data source is an Excel file that comes from a Quickbooks list export that I update monthly. I am connected to this file and do whatever cleaning I need in Query Editor. I should mention that the fact table I am doing analysis on also comes from quickbooks and contains vendor names and employee names and no ID's. I prefer to use integer fields to create relationships to my dim tables rather than a string field. To do this, in query editor, I thought about adding an Index field on the dim tables, then doing a join/expand to get the Index field into the fact table and delete the string fields containing the vendor and employee names.

The problem naturally, is that the whenever new names are added in the dim tables, the Index would adjust and re-number everything.

My question is, If I'm refreshing the 2 dim tables every month and the fact table (thus running the join/expand step), is there any issue when new names are added to the dim tables and the Index adjusts to re-Index(?) the list. In essense, would the data model ever "know the difference" that everybody has a new index ID?

3 REPLIES 3
az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@DCTedi 

built-in add Index function in power query will always re-evalute its value during each data loading.

to remain indexes you should setup your ETL process correctly or (and my opinion, it maybe better) use some surrogate key like string "Vendor-Employee" or whatever you need as key

I do not see any valuable reasons to use exactly integer, not string keys

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution
LinkedIn
DCTedi
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for that, and I am working to improve the ETL.  It was a broad what if  question to see if I would run into an issue in the short-term. Hopefully I won't have to do it this way for long. 

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

What you are proposing is fine, assuming that the correct index # gets assigned in related tables each refresh.  It is not required to have an index if you don't need one.  Many people just use existing fields, and often people concatenate 2+ existing fields to create a key column with the right granularity.  In any case, new index #s each refresh is no problem.

If this solution meets your need, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.