Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

BethC901
Frequent Visitor

Creating measures for live connect model

I am creating a model in Power BI Premium service using 1 capacity with multiple workspaces.  These workspaces will have datasets that have published DirectQuery chained datasets. End result is that the user will use Live Connect to the chained dataset.  My question is how to handle measures and calculated columns.  Is there a way to put all measures in a separate dataset that can be shared across "chained" datasets?  For example:

Dataset1 contains Constituents and Revenue

Dataset2 contains Events

Dataset3 contains Memberships

Dataset4 (chained) contains Constituents/Revenue + Events from which the user will create Live Connection reports.

Dataset5 (chained) contains Constituents/Revenue + Memberships from which the user will create Live Connection reports.

Where/how do I publish measures that will be shared between Datasets 4 & 5?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @BethC901 

I'm afraid it couldn't be achieved in Power BI for now. For your requirement , you can come up with a new idea and add your comments on Power BI Ideas forum to make this feature coming sooner.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@BethC901 , when try to add a second live connect dataset, in the new version you should get an option for the direct query. in that, you should be able to use those datasets together, but you might have to create measures in this new file 

Yes, I understand that.  Datasets 4 & 5 will be DirectQuery with multiple data sources (1 & 2 and 1 & 3).  My question is how to share measures across datasets.  Datasets 4 & 5 will have many of the same measures.  Is there a way to store them separately so that I don't have to put them in both?  I dislike duplicated code and try to avoid it if possible.

Hi, @BethC901 

I'm afraid it couldn't be achieved in Power BI for now. For your requirement , you can come up with a new idea and add your comments on Power BI Ideas forum to make this feature coming sooner.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.