Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RG_HC
Frequent Visitor

Creating cumulative (running) total which responds to date slicer

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a running total against an Amount column by Close Date. I have the data filtered by Month (ie January) and have duplicate dates (have now added an Index column to try and offset this but not sure how to include it in the formula filter). The "Create Quick Measure" option isn't working as the data isn't cumulating.

Can anyone help me out with the syntax for this? Previous attempts have not worked as I don't completely understand how it is working (Power BI noob). I have it working thanks to a coworker in a different scenario, but haven't been able to get it to work with the date filters in this case (I've included this in the screenshot -- tried a few different formula variations on what is in the screenshot, including the one generated by the quick measure, but not luck)

Month by Month.PNG

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @RG_HC,

In Query Editor mode, please sort the [Close Date] field with ascending order first before adding the index column.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

In your visual, the close dates are the same for all rows.  So the running total for each row should be 2965.017.  Ami correct?

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Hi there, that's one of the problems. This data comes from a CRM; the salesperson has put 31/1/18 as the close date for all the sales. So I generated an Index column to try to use to differentiate each row but unsure how to implment it so the running total works.

In this case it should be:

Amount             Running Total

300,000             300,000

279,000             579,000

2,006,017          2,585,017

380,000             2,965,017

Hi,

In that case, how does one know the order in which the amount should appear.  So , why should the answer not be

How does one freeze on the order of the amount (which in turn will impact the running total).

Also, will you be filtering/slicing the data only by month or will there be other filters as well?

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Lets try a slightly modified dataset to better explain the problem:

Date Close            Amount             Running Total

22/01/18              300,000             300,000

24/01/18              279,000             579,000

31/01/18              2,006,017          2,585,017

31/01/18              380,000             2,965,017

To me, the sort order of amount and therefore the running total, should be inherited from the sort order of the dataset, in this case Date Close I added the index to try and help with dates that duplicate (close on the same date). 

The problem is still the syntax to get this to cumulate, given that the data (as per the real life scenario) has been filtered to only show January 2018 sales closing, and also sales that have a probabiltiy >=60%.

So, the filters are Close Date and Probability (>=60%).

Appreciate your time

Hi @RG_HC,

Please try below measure:

RunningTotal =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'CRM data'[Amount] ),
    FILTER (
        ALLSELECTED ( 'CRM data' ),
        'CRM data'[Index] <= MAX ( 'CRM data'[Index] )
    )
)

1.PNG2.PNG

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you Yuliana, very nearly there! The only problem I have now is that the Index column isn't quite working how I'd hoped. Looking at the next month out, I have:

Close Date        Amount            Running Total       Index

31/03/18          421,794             421,794                 25

31/03/18        3,500,000          3,921,794                 41

30/03/18          274,288           4,196,082                 46

Clearly, the last opportunity on the list, at Index 46, closes first of the list, but was added last in the CRM. 

I'd actually like the Index to follow the Close Date - ie Sort by Close Date, but when I try to do that in the table, I get an error - "We can't sort the "Close Date" column by "Index". There can't be more than one value in "Index" for the same value in "Close Date". Please choose a different column for sorting or update the data in "Index".

Not sure what this means. Index is a Power BI generated Index column and unique...?   

Hi @RG_HC,

In Query Editor mode, please sort the [Close Date] field with ascending order first before adding the index column.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Thanks Yuliana, 100% spot on. I've deleted the Index column, sorted by Close date and then added the Index column as the last step in my Query. Worked like a charm 🙂

You can sort close by index becuase duplicate close date will have different index value.

You need to concatenate close date with index and then sort your close date with this concatenated field and I think that will do it.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.