Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

leosrs

Creating connection in Model is taking too long

Hi,

I am trying to create a new report based on a excel file which has 128 Kb.

When I try to import it to PowerBi, I can select the worksheet I want work and the next step is to apply query changes.

So, the Creating connection in model step is taking a long time.

I already unchecked Auto Date/Time and Allow data preview to download in the background. But no success.

Does anyone have any idea about a way go solve it?

4 REPLIES 4
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@leosrs wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to create a new report based on a excel file which has 128 Kb.

When I try to import it to PowerBi, I can select the worksheet I want work and the next step is to apply query changes.

So, the Creating connection in model step is taking a long time.

I already unchecked Auto Date/Time and Allow data preview to download in the background. But no success.

Does anyone have any idea about a way go solve it?

@leosrs

Do you mean that  the data is loaded fine to advanced editor and it keeps spinning forever when you click apply change?  How many rows are there and is there any specific tranformation you did on the data?

@Eric_Zhang @leosrs

I hope you guys don't mind me hijacking this thread as I have the same problem. Compared to OP, I have 2 Excel files whose file size sum up to 1.39 MB. Power BI has been trying to create a connection to the model for the past 8 minutes as I'm typing this which I find to be unusually long. Is there any way to fix this without me having to delete the dataset?

Hi, to solve my problem I noticed that when try to import the wizard was considering to use the empty columns in my spreadsheet. After I select only usable columns at wizard. The load time improved a lot.
olimilo
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Yeah, mine loaded a lot of empty columns as well. I just "deleted" the empty columns from the source data and it seems to have loaded just fine.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.