Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Andrea_Jess
Helper III
Helper III

Creating column tags using M query

Hi All, 

I have two fact tables: 

a) One stores historical sales data

b) One stores sales data for month - 1 (for example, we are in Oct at the moment. The table currently contains sales data for  Sept21). We will refresh fact table B on Nov 1 to get a view of Oct and therefore, the Fact Table B will update to show sales for FY Oct 21. 

This means, the historial table will then store away september data (fact table A). For reporting purposes, we want to give business a historical view as well as current period view. 

As a result, i want to merge thes two tables as one. However, i need to be able to tag my date column from Fact Table B with it's fiscal period title dynamically . For example, the table currently contains YTD view up till Sept 21. I want to tag this table as 'Sept FY21/22'. Then once we finish October month, the data will refresh and i want the tag to then say 'Oct FY21/22'. 

Does anyone know how to do this via Power Query. i can't use a calcualted column using DAX for this since i want the column to be visible via PQ. 

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Andrea_Jess ,

You have to try like the example, You need to add code for FY, also check format for the month

Date.ToText(List.Max([Date]) ,"mmm-yy")

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Andrea_Jess
Helper III
Helper III

Thanks! got it working!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Andrea_Jess ,

You have to try like the example, You need to add code for FY, also check format for the month

Date.ToText(List.Max([Date]) ,"mmm-yy")

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.