Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sunnyatwork
Frequent Visitor

Creating column from Measures

Hello, I am new power BI. I need your help in solving a issue I am facing. 

I have data as below. I want to display Category Vs Value. The Category (X-axis) will have titles of values like Value_1, Value_2, Value_3. And Value (Y-axis) will have average values of value_1, Value_2, Value_3 respectively.

ID Value_1 Value_2 Value_3

1    200       250         300

2    300       225         400

3     275       250        150

I am able to place them under 'Column values' but in the graph, they are coming together. So I think creating Category would make it look much better than placing them side by side. 

Please advice.  

4 REPLIES 4
Sunnyatwork
Frequent Visitor

@d_gosbell @v-alq-msft Guys thank you for your reply. 

The concern with this method would be, Increasing the number of rows and ID which is supposed to be unique identifier is getting repeated. If I have multiple data sets at ID level as Key, then it might create duplication.

Please let me know your thoughts. 

Hi, @Sunnyatwork 

You may create a measure as follows.

AverageMeasure = 
AVERAGEX(
      Table2,
      DIVIDE(Table2[Value_1]+Table2[Value_2]+Table2[Value_3],3)
)

Then you may configure fields of the visual as below.

a1.png

If I misunderstand your thoughts, please show me your expected result. Thanks

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Sunnyatwork 

Just as what  @d_gosbell   said, you may click 'Edit Query', go to Query Editor, click 'Transform' ribbon, make corresponding cloumns selected, click 'Unpivot Column' and then 'Close and Apply'. 

b1.png

b2.png

Then you may create a visual, right-click the 'Value' column and choose 'Average'. Here is the result.

b3.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

If Value_1, Value_2 and Value_3 are categories then you should probably change your query that brings in the data to do an Unpivot transformation to change your data into the following shape:

ID   Category   Amount

1  Value_1  200
1  Value_2  250         

1  Value_3  300

2  Value_1  300 
2  Value_2  225

2  Value_3  400

3  Value_1  275

3  Value_2  250

3  Value_3  150

That should make it much easier to create reports splitting the data out by the different categories.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.