Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mwimberger
Resolver II
Resolver II

Creating an Excel "Up Down" Bar chart replica in Power BI

I've been struggling with this for a while and I am posting my first question to this forum hoping for brains trust assistance. 

I've been trying to replicate a "Up/Down" bar chart in Power BI showing the difference of a ratio from parity or 1. Essentially it is used to track ratios of two metrics ( A and B or A/B) to each other. If the ratio is 1, then A = B , if it is less than 1 ( say 0.8) then there could be say an overestimation of B the demoninator and if it is greater than 1, then A could be overestimated. 

An example of data could be as such.

StoreABRatio A : B
Alice Springs30412533.951.20
Brisbane87426723.951.30
Cairns10311085.010.95
Darwin826910208.090.81

This type of chart is relatively easy to plot in Excel by plotting two lines - one series is the ratio of A:B and the other is parity (1) , and then selecting Up/Down bars in the Design Menu, and then setting the two lines to "no line".  The key point is that the values "hang off" y=1.

Up down bars.jpg

I know enough in Power BI to be dangerous but I can't seem to replicate this visualisation.  I am quite happy to do normal variance plots, but certain people HAVE to see the graph as in my screen shot ( labelled 3)

I have begun delving into using ggplot and custom R visuals and lots to pick up.

My question is has anyone tried this before in Power BI? Any pointers at all would be so very appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @mwimberger

Here is a suggestion that I hope is close to what you want.

(sample pbix here)

It is a similar approach to the "old-fashioned" way of creating waterfall or Gantt charts in Excel and produces a visual like this:

image.png

1. Assuming your table contains a column Ratio A : B already, create a series of measures:
    Average Ratio = 
    AVERAGE ( Data[Ratio A : B] ) //Arbitrary aggregation if each row is a data point

Difference from 1 = 
    [Average Ratio] - 1

Blank space = 
    MIN ( 1, [Average Ratio] )

Difference from 1 Absolute (Pos) = 
    MAX ( [Difference from 1], 0 )

Difference from 1 Absolute (Neg) = 
    - MIN ( [Difference from 1], 0 )

2. Create a Line and Stacked Column Chart
    (or you could just use a Stacked Column Chart if you don't need data labels)
  3. Put Store on the Shared Axis
  4. Put Blank Space, Difference from 1 Absolute (Pos), and Difference from 1 Absolute (Neg) in Column Values
  5. Put Average Ratio in Line Values
    (this is just to allow data labels showing the ratio itself)
  6. Adjust Data colors so that Difference from 1 Absolute (Pos) and Difference from 1 Absolute (Neg) are appropriate colours, and Blank space is white (or other background colour)
  7. Change the line Stroke Width to zero
  8. Add data labels (if required) just for the Average Ratio series
  9. I also played with a report page tooltip, to ensure only the ratio is displayed in the tooltip (this could be tweaked)

One drawback is that the Blank space column values can't be transparent (at the moment anyway) so they have to be white (or a background colour), which means gridlines don't display nicely.

There could well be another custom visual out there that would b more suitable but I couldn't get any to work suitably (played with some of the Gantt & bullet visuals).

Regards,

Owen 🙂

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@mwimberger,

You may try adding the following calculated columns, then drag to Value and Color saturation.

Column =
Table1[Ratio A : B] - 1
Column 2 =
SIGN ( Table1[Column] )
Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
mwimberger
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi there community! 

Been struggling with this for a whiile and I am posting my first question to this forum hoping for Brains Trust assistance

I've been trying to replicate a "Up/Down" bar chart in Power BI showing the difference of a ratio from parity or 1 (example below)

Up down bars 2.jpg

Essentially it is used to track ratios of two metrics ( A and B or A/B) to each other. If the ratio is 1, then A = B , if it is less than 1 ( say 0.8) then there could be say an overestimation of B the demoninator and if it is greater than 1, then A could be overestimated. 

Brisbane87426723.951.30
Cairns10311085.010.95
Darwin826910208.090.81

This type of chart is relatively easy to plot in Excel by plotting two lines - one series is the ratio of A:B and the other is parity (1) , and then selecting Up/Down bars in the Design Menu, and then setting the two lines to "No Line".  The key point is that the values "hang off" y=1.

Up down bars.jpg

I know enough in Power BI to be dangerous but I can't seem to replicate this visualisation.  I am quite happy to do normal variance plots, but certain people HAVE to see the graph as in my screen shot ( labelled 3)

I have begun delving into using ggplot and custom R visuals and still  lots to pick up!

My question is has anyone tried making this visualisation before in Power BI? Any pointers at all would be hugely appreciated. 

Thanks in advance from sunny (weirdly) Melbourne Smiley Very Happy

mwimberger
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi there community! 

Been struggling with this for a whiile and I am posting my first question to this forum hoping for Brains Trust assistance

I've been trying to replicate a "Up/Down" bar chart in Power BI showing the difference of a ratio from parity or 1 (example below)

Up down bars 2.jpg

Essentially it is used to track ratios of two metrics ( A and B or A/B) to each other. If the ratio is 1, then A = B , if it is less than 1 ( say 0.8) then there could be say an overestimation of B the demoninator and if it is greater than 1, then A could be overestimated. 

Brisbane87426723.951.30
Cairns10311085.010.95
Darwin826910208.090.81

This type of chart is relatively easy to plot in Excel by plotting two lines - one series is the ratio of A:B and the other is parity (1) , and then selecting Up/Down bars in the Design Menu, and then setting the two lines to "No Line".  The key point is that the values "hang off" y=1.

Up down bars.jpg

I have begun delving into using ggplot and custom R visuals and still  lots to pick up!

My question is has anyone tried making this visualisation before in Power BI? Any pointers at all would be hugely appreciated. 

Thanks in advance from sunny (weirdly) Melbourne

Hi @mwimberger

Here is a suggestion that I hope is close to what you want.

(sample pbix here)

It is a similar approach to the "old-fashioned" way of creating waterfall or Gantt charts in Excel and produces a visual like this:

image.png

1. Assuming your table contains a column Ratio A : B already, create a series of measures:
    Average Ratio = 
    AVERAGE ( Data[Ratio A : B] ) //Arbitrary aggregation if each row is a data point

Difference from 1 = 
    [Average Ratio] - 1

Blank space = 
    MIN ( 1, [Average Ratio] )

Difference from 1 Absolute (Pos) = 
    MAX ( [Difference from 1], 0 )

Difference from 1 Absolute (Neg) = 
    - MIN ( [Difference from 1], 0 )

2. Create a Line and Stacked Column Chart
    (or you could just use a Stacked Column Chart if you don't need data labels)
  3. Put Store on the Shared Axis
  4. Put Blank Space, Difference from 1 Absolute (Pos), and Difference from 1 Absolute (Neg) in Column Values
  5. Put Average Ratio in Line Values
    (this is just to allow data labels showing the ratio itself)
  6. Adjust Data colors so that Difference from 1 Absolute (Pos) and Difference from 1 Absolute (Neg) are appropriate colours, and Blank space is white (or other background colour)
  7. Change the line Stroke Width to zero
  8. Add data labels (if required) just for the Average Ratio series
  9. I also played with a report page tooltip, to ensure only the ratio is displayed in the tooltip (this could be tweaked)

One drawback is that the Blank space column values can't be transparent (at the moment anyway) so they have to be white (or a background colour), which means gridlines don't display nicely.

There could well be another custom visual out there that would b more suitable but I couldn't get any to work suitably (played with some of the Gantt & bullet visuals).

Regards,

Owen 🙂

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Hi Owen

Your help has been instrumental in solving this issue for me. Thank you!!

I managed to successfully adjust the visualization to deal with dates. 

Up down bars with dates.jpg

Here is a link for anyone that would like to use this as another example.

Cheers

Manfred

@mwimberger

Hi Manfred - looks like you solved the date version before I saw your reply - good work 🙂

Glad I could help 🙂

Cheers

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Owen, this is awesome.  I have a question in terms of the X Axis and this is my bad . I tried to give a simple explanation and used arbitary categories on the axis (Alice Springs etc) and assumed I could modify it from there.

If the axis was a date , or a date hierachy, would this still work? I tried to modify the measures and created another visualisation , but it falls over. Man Frustrated

Here is a variation of the table , with dates 

DateABRatio A : B
1/01/20181171420.82
1/02/20181081130.96
1/03/20181521141.33
1/04/20181371091.26
1/05/20181101230.89
1/06/20181391211.15
1/07/20181971331.48
1/08/20181151500.77
1/09/20181761081.63
1/10/20181321950.68
1/11/20181311171.12
1/12/20181821950.93
1/01/20191471850.79
1/02/20191601071.50
1/03/20191961511.30
1/04/20191391211.15

Thank you so much for your help so far!

Cheers

Manfred

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.