Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Chipnskip

Creating a waterfall chart with calculations using table totals and be able to filter.

I have this report in excel, which im trying to migrate to a PowerBi report, but im having issues recreating the waterfall chart.

I need all filters to work and update the chart and table at the same time, currently the chart is not filtering in PBI.

For this i tried creating the values in step 3 and 2 from the image as measures in the same table as the original data. Then a new table which contains the values in the step 4 (which are the values required for building the chart) in a calculated column that uses the previously created measures depending on a row index i inserted, thinking the totals would filter with the slicers.

I think it would be hard to make the calculations individually in each row in the original data table since the formulas work with total values, and also that i need the 2 breakdowns to appear, and only 1 field can be inserted in the chart thus having to duplicate the content in the table, i did try but had no luck. And there is no posibility to creating a relationship to enable filtering since no field has unique values.

From what i understand there are only these 2 options here. 1) Having a connection between both tables, 2) having the calculations on the main table itself. or maybe 3) having a different visual that can adapt better to the data required.

Maybe there are more options with using DAX, and this requires more advanced skills which i currently dont have as a powerBI beginner, i tried what i could and made some research but i think this is a very specific topic and was hard to find helpful stuff. 

In the end what i need is to have the exact same funcionality as the excel in a PowerBI.
(in the excel the chart hides the background calculations, and only the filters, pivot table, and chart are visible, so would be the case in the PBI)

image001.png

Here is a link to a small sample file i have created for this issue, since the original file is really big and has work data.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnUxFEs727OlxwRJ2jcdHqPBLG_o?e=6dpnWU

If i need to elaborate better feel free to ask, maybe specific questions would work better than my overall understanding and description of the problem, since this is a more advanced and confusing thing i may have not explained myself correctly.

I really appreciate any help provided.

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Your data model is missing the linkage between the Data and Bridge tables hence the interaction isn't working.

lbendlin_0-1659481545807.png

"In the end what i need is to have the exact same funcionality as the excel in a PowerBI."

I would challenge that. Don't fight the change, embrace it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.