Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dandutch
Frequent Visitor

Creating a timeline visual with milestones

Dear all,

I've been working with Power BI for about six months now, so I feel quite familiar with the basics. However, currently I am facing a challenge I can't figure out myself. I would like to display a timeline with certain dates as milestones. The distance between these milestones should be dependent on the duration between the corresponding dates.

I would like to use this visual for delivery performance tracking in projects. My Idea is that I would filter for a certain project number an then the visual should display something similiar to this:

Example Timeline with MilestonesExample Timeline with Milestones

My (simplfied) data :

Project NameDate A (Project Start)Date BDate CDate D (Project End)
Project X01.01.201701.02.201701.06.201701.01.2018
Project Y01.10.201601.01.201701.05.201701.08.2017

I have found solutions wich are similiar to my task, but not completley fulfill it. At least, as far as I understood them

Pulse Chart Solution

Bar Chart Solution

I would be very glad if someone could point me to such custom visual or explain how existing ones could be used for this manner.

I am looking forward to your suggestions.

Many thanks in advance and best regards,

Dan

13 REPLIES 13
Shanshan

Hi  May I ask have you already found a suitable visual to realize your idea?  I'm also facing the same problem.🥂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you find solution for this?

mpbpbi
Regular Visitor

You could do something like using using clustered bar charts with color saturation to change the bar color based off of time between points since I do not believe there is a way to make something with dynamic bar length. Not exactly what you are looking for but a possible temporary solution to this. The averages at the bottom are for a second metric i was tracking that occured between each step.

pbi line.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

How did you do this?

How did you create this?

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your reply. I have 3 years of data in my start date and end date, so I really want scroller to appear in as Timeline. I can also share .pbix file, if you can give me email address. Please find the screenshot below:

AsTimeline_ScrollerIssue.PNG

I'm also trying to do something similar - has anyone found a solution? Thanks.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ditto to the above ask for a way to present timline of single entity/element with multiple milestones.  Timeline Storyteller is a great visualization, but limited to start-date and end-date.  Need a way to layer in sub-dates/events along that singular timeline.

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@dandutch,

You may take a look at https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/WA104381377?src=office&tab=Overview.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-chuncz-msft

I had a second look at this visual and unfortunately it does not meet my requirements.

For one, it does not allow to enter multiple Start/End Dates without rearanging my complete data set.

As explained, my data is structured like this table:

Project NameDate A (Project Start)Date BDate CDate D (Project End)
Project X01.01.201701.02.201701.06.201701.01.2018
Project Y01.10.201601.01.201701.05.2017

In order to work with the suggested visual, the data should be structered similiar to this (Example for Project X):

Project NameCategoryStart DateEnd Date
Project XA to B01.01.201701.02.2017
Project XB to C01.02.201701.06.2017
Project XC to D01.06.201701.01.2018

I do not consider this to be practicable.

Second, the formating possibilities are rather insuficcient (e.g. displaying Duration or Milestones).

Do you have any other ideas?

BR,

Dan

Dandutch - I am trying to create the same. did you have any luck with this timeline?

Hi chuncz,

considering the data attached in my first post, do you have any idea how I could use multiple start and end dates for this visual? What I would need is a visualtization from A to B, from B to C and then from C to D in one line or in terms of this visual: for one identy. Like it is with "John Holiday" or "Vladimir Holiday".

Original Visual ExampleOriginal Visual Example

However, my visual seems to ignore the second dates (Start Date "Date B" and End Date "Date C"). Most probably it doesn't work this way, but I couldn't find a proper discription for multiple dates.

Date B to Date C is not displayedDate B to Date C is not displayed

Hi Dan,

By looking at your As Timeline visual, I have seen that you are able to keep "scroller On" on x-axis, with date range showing day wise. I have 3 years of data for "start date" and "end date". I want to show day wise data on x-axis of the visual, with scroller On. Can you please guide me how you are able to do this in your visual?

I will greatly appreciate your help on this.

Best Regards,

Prabhpreet

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.