Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

robrthansen

Creating a table that calculates the names of other tables

Hello,

I have a PBI setup that has around 75+ different queries in it.  In the future, this could 100's...  Each query represents a table of values from a MS Forms datatable.  What I would like to do is create a table (we'll call it "X") that has a column with all of the table names (in each row) in my file that I can use to reference each of the individual tables.  This table X will also have other calculated data that I would like to derive from each of the individual table names.  The problem is, I can't reference the names of the tables because the table names as I have them currently are text, and I can't convert them so the DAX recognizes them as tables.

Here is an example of what I want:

In this example, Tables A-C are separate queries (tables) in my file.  

Table X

TablesCalculated column 1Calculated column 2
Table "A"(A formula using Table A as a reference)(A 2nd formula using Table A as a reference)
Table "B"(A formula using Table B as a reference)(A 2nd formula using Table B as a reference)
Table "C"(A formula using Table C as a reference)(A 2nd formula using Table C as a reference)

I could do this same thing by creating a measure for each type of data and copying it 75+ times for each separate measure that I am interested in, but I figure there has to be a better way...  I may be off track on how to go about this, so any course correction would really be appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

Rob

4 REPLIES 4
v-gizhi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,

I think you can create a Measure table to store all measure formulas.

Like this:

20.PNG

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Giotto

camargos88
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @robrthansen ,

The table structures are different from each other ? If no, have you thought about append them ?

Ricardo

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hello @camargos88

Yes, all tables are structurally different.

If I was able to append them, does that give some options to solve the issue of “tabulating” the table measures I want calculate, and if so I’m interested how!

@robrthansen ,

Can you provide some examples of those tables? 

Ricardo

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.