Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jolly123
Frequent Visitor

Creating a slicer for a line graph for 6 data points coming from 4 different tables

Hello, 

I currently have a graph with 6 data points coming from 4 different tables (making it 6 lines in total on the line graph). The line graph seems too complex and hard to drill down to with all 6 lines. So I am trying to create a slicer for whenever I click on a data point, a line will appear on the graph; and if I click on two data points, 2 lines will appear on the graph, etc. 

Any idea of how to do that?

I currently created a dummy table to have the 6 data points (value that I want to slice on  -cost 1 to cost 6). In my main table, I created a column with the formula below, but I keep getting the error saying "A table of multipla values was supplied where a single value was expected". What should I do? Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated. 

Trial = SWITCH(VALUES('dummy'[cost column]),"Cost 1",SUM('database'[cost 1]),"Cost 2",SUM('database'[cost 2]),"Cost 3",'Excel1'[Cost 3],"Cost 4",'Excel 2'[Cost 4],"Cost 5",'Database2'[Cost 5],"Cost 6",'Excel 2'[Cost 6],SUM('database'[cost 1]))

So my ideal plan is that cost 1 will be on the graph no matter whether any slicer is selected for the graph. If I click on cost 2 on the slicer, both cost 1 and cost 2 will show up in the line graph. 

Thank you guys. 

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Jolly123,

Seems you just need to add the legend in a slicer like below. 

Creating_a_slicer_for_a_line_graph_for_6_data_points_coming_from_4_different_tables

The error is raised by "VALUES('dummy'[cost column])" which returns a table.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Good morning Dale, 

Thank you for your response. The reason why I created a dummy table is because the 6 fields that I want to put on 1 single line graph are coming from 4 different tables. I think your example will work well if I want a line graph that data is all coming from one field only. However, the 6 lines that I would like to have on my line graph is coming from 6 differenf fields from 4 different tables. I created a dummy table to call out the 6 fields that I would like to filter for the line graph. For example, I would like to have "Cost 1" to always be on the graph no matter which filter I choose (because that's the cost I want it to be compared to). If I click on "Cost 2" on the slicer/filter, I would like the line for Cost 2 to appear on the line graph, and Cost 1 will be there too as a default. Do you have any idea how to do it? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

Hi @Jolly123,

Can you share a sample data?

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.