cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
belvoir Member

Creating a second report with the same dataset

Hi

I have a report and dataset working well in app.powerbi.com. I would like to create a second report in Power BI Desktop but connect to the same dataset.

The documentation at - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-basic-concepts says that you can have multiple reports. 

We are interested in doing this because refreshes are carried out on the dataset and not the report, and using Power BI Embedded, we want to refresh multiple reports but only carrying out one refresh (i.e. refresh the dataset).

If I publish from Power BI Desktop, either it creates a new dataset (if the name is different) or it overwrites the existing report. So is there another way of ending up with two reports and one dataset?

Maybe if I publish to different workspaces?

I feel I've missed something somewhere.... thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Creating a second report with the same dataset

Hey,

I guess what you are looking for can be achieved using the following steps:

1. In my example I created a first report called "Analyze R" and published this report to a workspace "Analyzing R"
  2. Then I created a 2nd report and connect to the Power BI dataset "Analyze R"
    image.png

image.png

3. After you have finished the report you can publish the new report to the same workspace and then it looks like this in the workspace
    image.png

As you can see: there are two reports but just one dataset.

Hopefully, this is what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

Hamburg - Germany
If I answer you question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Proud to be a Datanaut!
2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

Hey,

I guess what you are looking for can be achieved using the following steps:

1. In my example I created a first report called "Analyze R" and published this report to a workspace "Analyzing R"
  2. Then I created a 2nd report and connect to the Power BI dataset "Analyze R"
    image.png

image.png

3. After you have finished the report you can publish the new report to the same workspace and then it looks like this in the workspace
    image.png

As you can see: there are two reports but just one dataset.

Hopefully, this is what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

Hamburg - Germany
If I answer you question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Proud to be a Datanaut!
belvoir Member

Excellent @TomMartens - that seems to be the logical way. I hadn't considered connecting to the dataset as the data source - it seems so obvious now! Smiley Happy

Thanks so much!