Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Creating a relationship between two tables where one includes NULL values

Hello,

I am trying to join one table which has a set of keys + transactions with a member table containing a member key. 

Our Member Table currently contains two keys, let's call them Key 1 and Key 2. Key 2 is the master and will always be populated, as it comes from the CRM. Key 1 will not always be populated. It is only populated for members which have made a transaction. Due to the current setup of our core systems, this is how it will be.

The issue arises when I try to join the transaction table with the member table. Since Key 1 will not always be populated for a Key 2 value, there are plenty of NULL values in the Key 1 column. This creates an issue when I try to create a relationship as Power BI says it's invalid due to "duplicated values", however the only duplicated value is NULL. 

I cannot understand how Power BI can't manage to ignore NULL values in relationship. Is it not possible for me to do this join without removing the NULLs? Yes, I could probably create a many-to-many connection inbetween but that creates so much work for something that is so ridiculously simple as a LEFT JOIN. 

Examples:

Transaction Table:

Transaction Member KeyTransaction Value
TM1100
TM2200
TM1100

Member Table:

Key 1Key 2Name
NULLABC123Lorem Ipsum
TM1DEF456Ipsum Lorem
TM2GHI789Losum Iprem
NULL123ABCAasd Qwerty

I want to create a relationship between Transaction Member Key and Key 1 columns. I will not be able to remove the NULL rows. 

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Power bi will not take null on 1 side of the table. You can use replace the value in power bi and replace it with a value like N/A

Hi@amitchandak 

if we replace null with N/A can i get required values from other table which was already matched this null column and values column .does it possible

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a particular reason for Power BI not managing to handle NULL values? 

Also, wouldn't a value like "N/A" also cause duplicates, creating a relationship that won't work? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.