Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Fiona83
Frequent Visitor

Creating a relationship between tables

Please can someone kindly help me?

I am trying to create a relationship between two tables, and have tried to use dates as the connection. 

(Table 1) Company A - Staff type - Date - number of staff needed

(Table 2) Company A - staff type - Date - number of staff available

Table 1 has various other data, but I want to show Needs vs Availability 

I am getting the error  "cant create a relationship between these two columns because one of the columns must have unique values."

Staff needed and staff available will have values the same on some cells- is this the issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Fiona83 

As the error message says one of the sides has to have unique values to create a direct relationship. You can best create a calendar table and, if needed, create relationships between it and your two current tables. The calendar table will have unique values.  You could also join both tables so that you have both staff needed and available in one place.

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving kudos if posts are helpful.

Cheers  Datanaut

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
kamalmsharma
Helper II
Helper II

You may use this dax expression to create a date table quickly. 

Dates_table = CALENDAR(DATE(2018,1,1), DATE(2020,12,31))

Then create relationship between  the two tables with date_table.

You date column of date_table to create visuals.

Hope this helops.

Kamal

You can also use AUTOCALENDAR function to let power bi decide date range for you. It picks up the first date and the last date in your data model for date range 🙂

AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Fiona83 

As the error message says one of the sides has to have unique values to create a direct relationship. You can best create a calendar table and, if needed, create relationships between it and your two current tables. The calendar table will have unique values.  You could also join both tables so that you have both staff needed and available in one place.

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving kudos if posts are helpful.

Cheers  Datanaut

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.