Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

D3K
Advocate II
Advocate II

Creating a proper data model

Hello everyone!

I've faced to the next issue and already lost.

I have a pretty complicated data model with a lot of tables and connections between. And have 5 basic tables:2019-05-13_22-43-02 (2).png

Products are connected to Sales via Product ID. Suppliers are connected to Sales via Supplier ID.

And there are no straight connections between products and suppliers. And also there is a detail: 1 product can has a few suppliers.

Because of described before, in the report mode, when I choose a supplier, in visuals I see all products with it's values by selected supplier and all the rest list of products with empty values. And also, as you can guess, when I choose a supplier in Product Slicer, I also see the full list of products, not only from chosen supplier.

And also there are a lot of combinations for each supplier:

- no sales, but has stocks and receipts

- no receipts, but with sales and stocks

- etc.

So the question is next: how to organize this model, to be able to manage the report in proper way? I mean no empty products, slicers working correctly...

Thank you in advance, hope for your help!

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@D3K - 

A couple of potential solutions:

1. If you want to treat product as belonging to certain suppliers, rather than as truly separate dimensions, then you could "snowflake" suppliers off of product. You would need a row in the product dimension for each combination of supplier/product.

2. In your visuals, you can Hide rows with no data.

Hope this helps,

Nathan

Thanks @Anonymous 

1. You've pushed the idea. I'll try to combine these 3 tables into 1 with power query and make the unique combination product/supplier. And after will make it as a basic table. 

2. Agree, this is the way.

Thanks for ideas! Smiley Happy

Combined 3 tables into 1 and made the list of unique combinations product ID/supplierUD, but anyway it didn't help. Because I can't make 2 connections from new table to Sales table (Product and Supplier). Tried to use TREATAS and USERELATIONSHIP, but it also doesn't work correctly. I can see correct sales for product, but visual with suppliers shows the same sales value for every supplier, when I choose the product.2019-05-15_10-40-26.png

So the issue is still actual... Maybe someone knows the decision?

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think we had a miscommunication - here is the model I was suggesting. The idea is that it will allow you to filter Products based on the selected supplier.

Model.png

Hope this helps,

Nathan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors