Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lcasey
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Creating a new table using summerize

Hello,

I have a realy weird calculation that doesnt seem to work.  I am creating a new table with 3 columns from an existing table. 

The new table has 3 columns

1. Revenue Gap  - Whole number 
  2. Regularization - Currency 
  3. Average = Currency divided by Gap 

The Revenue Gap and Regularization fields summarize correctly, but yet the Average which is a simple divide does not.   Do you know why and how to fix?

Revenue Gap = SUMMARIZECOLUMNS(Revenue[Campaign Name _x002dId],Revenue[Revenue Gap],Revenue[Regularization],"Gap",SUM(Revenue[Revenue Gap]),"Revenue",sum(Revenue[Regularization]),"Average" ,DIVIDE(sum(Revenue[Regularization]),sum(Revenue[Revenue Gap])))

2020-01-22_142205.png
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @lcasey ,

including the amount-columns in the columns to aggregate on doesn't seem to make much sense in my eyes. What does the expression return if you omit them like so:

Revenue Gap = 
SUMMARIZECOLUMNS(
    Revenue[Campaign Name _x002dId],
    "Gap",SUM(Revenue[Revenue Gap]),
    "Revenue",sum(Revenue[Regularization]),
    "Average" ,DIVIDE(sum(Revenue[Regularization]),sum(Revenue[Revenue Gap]))
)

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @lcasey 

Note that when you create a calculated table, the values are calculated once and are not re-calculated (just like a caluclated column is evaluated once for every row but is not changed by context filters). 

In your case, we are looking at just a subsection of the columns in your table visual. THe Average column in the Table visual is the sum (probably) of the Average column of your aclculated table per Campaign Name.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions!

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Keep those thumbs up coming! 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @lcasey ,

including the amount-columns in the columns to aggregate on doesn't seem to make much sense in my eyes. What does the expression return if you omit them like so:

Revenue Gap = 
SUMMARIZECOLUMNS(
    Revenue[Campaign Name _x002dId],
    "Gap",SUM(Revenue[Revenue Gap]),
    "Revenue",sum(Revenue[Regularization]),
    "Average" ,DIVIDE(sum(Revenue[Regularization]),sum(Revenue[Revenue Gap]))
)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

That Worked!

It does add up the Total a little different as I think the overall average should be 115

Take 3749629 / 32619 = 114.95

power bi.png

Yes, that total row isn't the result of the SUMMARIZECOLUMN-function, but the standard-aggregation of the table visual you're using.

😉

LOL....It was being summed and everything makes perfect sense now!

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.