Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

clarkey1988
Helper II
Helper II

Creating a new table from a current table

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help.

I have a table in my BI desktop called Trip Detail. I'm trying to create a measure that calulates the average number of trucks used each week in 2021.

The overall goal is to use this measure to be divided by the average revenue per week (which I already have) to calculate the average revenue/truck.

I believe I need to create a new table off my current table like I would do in excel below. However, I can't seem to get the results I'm looking for.

Any help will be much appreciated!

clarkey1988_0-1613435295375.png

6 REPLIES 6
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@clarkey1988 good to hear. cheers!!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@clarkey1988 nothing is simple until you see the data and understand the problem. It will be easier if you share pbix file using one drive/google drive with the expected output. Remove any sensitive information before sharing.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Hi @parry2k I figured it out by creating a new table and then averaging the number of trucks each week from that. Thank you for reaching out and helping!

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@clarkey1988 you just need measures, no new table:

Avg Revenue = AVERAGE ( Table[Revenue] )

Avg Truck = AVERAGE ( Table[Truck Count] )

Avg Rev Per Truck = DIVIDE ( [Ave Revenue], [Avg Truck] )

if this doesn't work, It will be easier if you share pbix file using one drive/google drive with the expected output. Remove any sensitive information before sharing.

Hi @parry2k 

I don't think it's as simple as that. Each truck has a unique truck number.

Currently I'm calculating the distinct count of trucks we've used in 2021 at one point. I need to calculate the average distinct count of trucks for each week in 2021.

Week 2 we used 617

Week 4 we used 637

Week 5 we used 642

Week 6 we used 641

For an average of 634 trucks/week in 2021

Distinct Count of Trucks/Week = (CALCULATE(COUNT(DimTractor[TractorAK]),FILTER('Trip Detail','Trip Detail'[Year]=2021)))

Forgot to add my current measure

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.