Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Creating a moving variable in a measure

Hi, 

I have a table that is manually updated by a business user. The number that is being updated should match a Total number within a differrent sales table. 

The table has multiple channels:

Broadcast

Digital 

Mail

Search

> "Search" and "Mail" should be considered as an "Other" channel. 

That "Other" channel should also contain the calculation that allows the total count of channel sales to equal the number that is being manually updated by the business user. 

Example:

User inputs number = 870

Channel          Sales

Broadcast       500

Digital             200

Other              150 (Mail = 100; Search = 50)

Total               850

I need to create a measure that allocates [870-850] = "20" sales (or whatever the difference is) to the "Other" category

Any help?

4 REPLIES 4
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

No, it's not possible to use a measure to have user input number minus total to allocate it into a Category. Even you can have the user input values as Query Parameter and update the source table, but it will execute this update every time once you load this dataset which is a very bad practice. 

Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-sihou-msft THANK YOU!

I understand where you are coming from with this, and I agree.

But could you explain it a bit more? My colleagues are understanding why this is bad practice, and I've already initially told them what you 1st posted. 

Could you help with any options?

Hi,

If the user inputs the information in some table that you later load into a PBI file, you can solve the problem with some basic coding. I would love to help you more on this, but I would need some sample data (just a sample of the sales table and the user input). With that, and the aid of some basic DAX, the scenario can be solved.

Of course, this will work if the data is inside Power BI. If, on the other hand, you want the data to be dymaically selected by the user, then you will need a parameter table and some more advanced DAX code.

But, first, let us start with the sample data, then we will go deeper on this.

Alberto Ferrari
http://www.sqlbi.com

Alberto Ferrari - SQLBI
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AlbertoFerrari I may have found a way around having to do this, in specific, for this report; but I will definitely come back to this question and understand the way of doing this!

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.