Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ivric
Frequent Visitor

Creating a measure in dimension power bi desktop

I'm trying to do some calcualtion by creating a new Measure in a dimension named Programs on power bi desktop

if 'Programs'[StartDate] is blank then pick 'Programs'[AltDate] else pick 'Programs'[StartDate] 

but in the measure i created under Programs I could access the date columns in my DAX.

I'm connecting power bi live to ssas tabular cube.

Thanks,

1 REPLY 1
v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@Ivric

@Ivric

I have made some tests by using live connection SSAS tabular as data source. However I cannot access date columns in DAX under my dimension. I can only access the measures.

As you can see in this article: Using Analysis Services Tabular data in Power BI Desktop. When connecting live, no data from the Tabular model is imported into Power BI Desktop. Each time you interact with a visualization, Power BI Desktop queries the Tabular model and calculates the results you see.

So How did you access the date columns in DAX? What kind of measure did you create? Could you please share us more information like some screenshots of your report or the measure which contains the date columns if possible?

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.