cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
commodity_check
Helper II
Helper II

Creating a horizontal/constant line in line chart using just one single number which changes daily

Hi all,

I have a data model consisting of one long fact table with different time series in it. I have one smaller dimension table which also includes some descriptive statistics for every time series. There is a relationship between both tables. 

The descriptive statistics in the dimension table are updated on a daily basis. I want to see some of these descriptive statistics in my line chart containing the time series of the fact table. For example: for one time series I want to add horizontal lines of the mean, mean plus standard deivation, mean minus standard deviation etc. These horizontal lines must be created from these single numbers. 

So to summarize: plot this descriptive statistic, which is just a single number in the dimension table, on the whole line chart. 

A possiblity would be to include a whole column with the same number in the fact table but this will result in performance issues.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User III
Super User III

create measures that produce these constant values, and then add the measures to your line chart visual.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User III
Super User III

You can either have a legend or multiple values but not both.

Ah that is unfortunate but thank you for your answer. 

lbendlin
Super User III
Super User III

create measures that produce these constant values, and then add the measures to your line chart visual.

View solution in original post

How do I add a measure to my line chart visual? As the axis, legend and values fields are already filled with other data

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Microsoft named a Leader in The Forrester Wave

Microsoft received the highest score of any vendor in both the strategy and current offering categories.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Power BI Dev Camp - September 30th, 2021

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Top Solution Authors