Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jroob
Frequent Visitor

Creating a data model to track appointments over time

Hey all,

I am looking to reduce the manual reporting effort in Excel using PowerBI instead. I've got a spreadsheet that looks similar to the sample one below with some store information along with a column for the number of appointments opened. What I'm struggling with is the fact that the excel data is really just a summary of appointments without any underlying information about the individual appointments.

In PowerBI, I've got tables for Store information and a Date table, but I'd need to create the appointment table from scratch and then figure out how to make connections in a data model. If I do create an Appointment table, how could I connect them to the other two with a data model so that I could do things like 

- Create a summary of total appointments for January

- Create total appointments by store 

1.PNG

What I am thinking I may need to do is to create an entirely new Table for appointments to be able to look at individual ones instead of just a summary total.

Something like this

2.PNG

But, this is a lengthy process  to do manually as there are hundreds of appointments across many store locations. 

Any thoughts, advice, or feedback to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Whitewater100
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi:

Here is one possible way. Please see link. I guessed about appointment status, but this was more for model design.

I'll attach link for the pbix and excel in case you want to see what data I started with. Model diagram below. I hope this helps gets you going!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15cPS2lK9ZeEcUhPeq21mDZNTYQYKf0RI/view?usp=sharing 

Excel

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RXHsn0y7mngiLWbow8y7jSK8pwJ4TeIF/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=10785... 

Whitewater100_0-1648082076042.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jroob,

Did the above suggestions help with your scenario? if that is the case, you can consider Kudo or accept the helpful suggestions to help others who faced similar requirements.

If these also don't help, please share more detailed information to help us clarify your scenario to test.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
johnt75
Super User
Super User

I'd definitely recommend a proper date table with year, month, quarter etc. I've found a week commencing column useful in the past, and you can use that to link the date table to your appointments table. the only downside is you will find it tricky when a week spans 2 months - which month should the appointments be assigned to.

Whitewater100
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi:

Here is one possible way. Please see link. I guessed about appointment status, but this was more for model design.

I'll attach link for the pbix and excel in case you want to see what data I started with. Model diagram below. I hope this helps gets you going!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15cPS2lK9ZeEcUhPeq21mDZNTYQYKf0RI/view?usp=sharing 

Excel

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RXHsn0y7mngiLWbow8y7jSK8pwJ4TeIF/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=10785... 

Whitewater100_0-1648082076042.png

jroob
Frequent Visitor

Wondering here if it'd be better to create a table with year, month, week, day, etc. and then somehow create filters or slicers to display the data. Or if I should put in the date table something like you said, end week column, and then connect the two through those columns. Guess it's the relationship between the two where I don't know much about. 

johnt75
Super User
Super User

You wouldn't necessarily need the individual appointments if you were only going to summarize anyway. You could create the Appointments with the Store ID, the week commencing date and the number of appointments. Link to the store table and to the week commencing column on your date table and you should be good to go.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.