Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

raymond_z_hu
Frequent Visitor

Creating a custom region for "Location" on a fill map

Hi everyone! I'm having trouble creating a fill map. 

I currently have data for certain clients that correspond to certain predetermined regions (West, northeast, northwest) that I would like to project onto a map- and obviously separate them by region. i.e. Client A- Northeast; Client B- West; Client C- Northeast.  Right now, PowerBI recognizes the region names as random places in the world (Central shows up as Central, Paraguay, when I want to customize central to be the aggregation of Indiana, Ohio, Michigan etc.)

Most help posts have said to place "state" into Location and then  "region" into Legend but the client data corresponds to a larger region, not a state. How would I create a custom region that could fit in "location" and link that to data of the client? I've tried something along the lines of creating a separate data table with the states that go into each region and then linking the region to my original dataset but it doesn't quite work. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @raymond_z_hu,

Your sample table is like as follows: Client A- Northeast; Client B- West; Client C- Northeast. You want to separate the client data(ClientA, ClientB, ClientC) and location(Northeast,West,Northeast etc), right? If it is, please refer to this thread or this article. Then create the map using data. 

Or review the following idea and vote them if they are inline with yours.

Filled map - show County, Country/Region, State/Province on a single map
It is hoped that the map will support the region

Best Regards,
Angelia

Thanks for the reply @v-huizhn-msft. The first part is not the issue- all of the data has already been organized properly.

The issue is that the Location field only recognizes set partitions like state, country, etc. when I need it to recognize custom regions (Northeast=NY + NJ + Delaware + MA...) without visually breaking them down into states on the map since each row of client data corresponds to a region, not a state.

Hi @raymond_z_hu,

You want to show custom regions (Northeast=NY + NJ + Delaware + MA...), which is not recognize in the map. Please review the following ideas and vote them.

Allow for easier creation of custom regional maps
Allow creation of custom map regions by grouping ZIP Codes

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.