Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Creating a Visual with a fixed Categorical Variable as an Axis

I am creating a Dot Plot that has a Categorical Variable of Project as the X-Axis with possible values of Project 1, Project 2, Project 3, Project 4. I would like all 4 of these categories to appear on the Axis regardless of whether or not there are data points that fit into them.

Right now the X-Axis is dynamic and will only show categories with values in them (e.g. Project 1, Project 2, Project 4 when there are no data points in Project 3). Is there a way for me to make all 4 of these categories appear at all times?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,
Charts will aggregate values based on-axis and legend, blank and zero values will be hidden in the visual and no impossible to force display them.
I'd like to suggest you use them on table visual, it allows you to force display the no data categories. You can also try to replace these zero value records with a default value. (e.g. -1)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,
Charts will aggregate values based on-axis and legend, blank and zero values will be hidden in the visual and no impossible to force display them.
I'd like to suggest you use them on table visual, it allows you to force display the no data categories. You can also try to replace these zero value records with a default value. (e.g. -1)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-show-items-no-data

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
mihart
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous 

OK.  I have one more idea.  If you select the down arrow next to the fields that are in your visual, you can select "Show items with no data".  Does that work?

- Michele

blank.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried that but unfortunatly it doesn't work. Any other thoughts?

Hi @Anonymous 

I'm stumped.  I replicated your dot plot in my Power BI and it works for me. Sorry I couldn't help.  

- Michele

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.