Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

natwilliams

Creating a Summary from a table with a LOT of columns

Hi, 

I have a table with 190 columns and I want to create a summary table with the number of blanks in each columns. 

So the result would be:

Col        | countblanks()

-------------------------

col1      |    0

col1      |    24

...          |    ....

col190  |    33

I have tried =SUMMARIZE<table><groupBy_columnName>[, <groupBy_columnName>]…[, <name><expression>]…)  with COUNTBLANK() but i dont want to have to list out all 190 columns. 

Any clue how to quickly generate a new table that contains summarizing values of ALL the table's clolumns without having to explicitly list them?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MDodds
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hello,

There are a couple of ways you could approach this, but I have gone through with a solution following your approach using DAX to form a new table rather than Power Query or other method.

Firstly I created a sample data table like below for this example:

MDodds_0-1667947754743.png

Per this you want to count the blanks for each distinct col. So for "A", there would be 1 blank as an example.

My next step is to create a new table with a distinct list of "Col".

I did this using the following DAX.

Summarise = Distinct('Sample Data'[Col])

Next step is to set the relationship between the new "Summarise" table and the original data table. Join Col on Col, relationship should be 1 to many.
MDodds_2-1667947949649.png

Now we want to count the blanks from the original table. Hit the create a new column button and use the following DAX:

Count Blank = Calculate(Countblank('Sample Data'[Data]))

The end result should be a table like below:

MDodds_1-1667947931997.png

I am hoping this is helpful, I have also uploaded my PBIX file at the link below should you wish to explore my solution further.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iwtu4etzjlwsz9c/NatWilliams%20-%20Creating%20a%20Summary%20from%20a%20tabl...

Shoot me a message if you need further help!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
MDodds
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hello,

There are a couple of ways you could approach this, but I have gone through with a solution following your approach using DAX to form a new table rather than Power Query or other method.

Firstly I created a sample data table like below for this example:

MDodds_0-1667947754743.png

Per this you want to count the blanks for each distinct col. So for "A", there would be 1 blank as an example.

My next step is to create a new table with a distinct list of "Col".

I did this using the following DAX.

Summarise = Distinct('Sample Data'[Col])

Next step is to set the relationship between the new "Summarise" table and the original data table. Join Col on Col, relationship should be 1 to many.
MDodds_2-1667947949649.png

Now we want to count the blanks from the original table. Hit the create a new column button and use the following DAX:

Count Blank = Calculate(Countblank('Sample Data'[Data]))

The end result should be a table like below:

MDodds_1-1667947931997.png

I am hoping this is helpful, I have also uploaded my PBIX file at the link below should you wish to explore my solution further.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iwtu4etzjlwsz9c/NatWilliams%20-%20Creating%20a%20Summary%20from%20a%20tabl...

Shoot me a message if you need further help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.