Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LesterK
Regular Visitor

Creating a Parameter and user as update field used in slicer

Hi

I’m having difficulty in setting up a parameter which  acts as a slicer as well. I'm coming from a tableau background where this was possible, but have not been able to find a solution as yet. 

I have the following summarised table with Gender, Age, Score_2021 and Score_2022 and the Frequency in my summarized table.  

LesterK_0-1661771999979.png

What I am trying to do is to create a table with Gender or Age and then use the score as a slicer. So below I have the slicer and I have tried to create a parameter where I would like to have the option to select either the 2021 or 2022 score. Based on what I select the score in the slicer should then change to either Score_2021 or Score_2022. I want to be able to toggle between the different score fields (columns in table) I created based on a the option I select in the parameter.   

LesterK_1-1661772014938.png

Hope this is possible. 

Thanks 

Lesterk

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Lester, 

After looking at this, I think your best bet might be to use bookmarks and hide or show the different slicers and charts based on which selection the user wants to look at.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
claymcooper
Resolver II
Resolver II

I'm not 100% sure I understand your ask but if I do, I think you need to use field parameters. This is a preview feature currently in Power BI so make sure your version is up to date and you turn on field parameters in the options menu under preview features.
From there you can go under the modeling tab and click field parameters to build a new one. Not sure if you'd need to build a measure of if the column name would work here. You might try both to get the desired effect. If you can send a sample pbix, I can try it out for you.

Hi

Thanks for responding. 

I attempted using the field parameter but wasn’t able to get this to work. I created a parameter which used the list input. In this way I can get the option to select either of Score 2021 or Score 2022.08.30

My aim then is to create a new column which will be populated with the Score_2021 or Score_2022 values, depending on the option selected in the slicer option.

I’ve attempted to create that column but ddoesnt seem to be possible.

Ideally I want to end up with a dynamic slicer which toggles between score 2021 or score 2022 depending on the option selected. I’ve included a pbix with some sample data.

Thanks for you assistance thus far.

Lester

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uF9oacraVvCI5Ij73tbB1qoIhOG8fdZp/view?usp=sharing

Hi Lester, 

After looking at this, I think your best bet might be to use bookmarks and hide or show the different slicers and charts based on which selection the user wants to look at.

Hope this helps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.