Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

New2PowerBI
Helper III
Helper III

Creating a Line Chart Based by Supervisor

Very new to Power BI; would love some help!

I would like to create a line chart; one that displays work that is coming due over the next year, for multiple people, based on their supervisor. 

For example, if Joe Smith has 3 direct reports, then Joe Smith can select his name as the supervisor on a Slicer and the line chart would show 3 different colors, one for each of his direct reports, of the work that is due over the next year.

I'm pretty comfortable with the display portion; my dilema are the tables and relationships.

I have a "PERSON" table that has the supervisor...it notes all the employees and their supervisor.  Then I have a "Preventative Maintenance" table that has an "Implementer".  I want to display the counts of their preventative maintenace, but base it on the Implementer's supervisor.  Unfortunately, I cannot seem to relate the Person table to the PM table.

Hope this is enough information to get someone interested in helping me.  🙂 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You probably need a 'lookup' table that has a unique list of Supervisor names and ID numbers. Use a relationship to join the ID numbers from both tables, then use the Supervisor name field in all your filters. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MalS
Resolver III
Resolver III

If the employee names in the Person table are identical to the implementer names in the Preventative Maintenance table, then you should be able to go to the Relationships view and drag a relationship from Implementer to Employee (see video).

Filter by Supervisor.gif

Then, when you filter by Supervisor on a visualization, only employees with that Supervisor will appear. 

Thanks for the video; that was awesome.  Helps to see.  Unfortunately the cell values are not the same, but your response got me to look at the data further; I found I needed another table to make the connection.

PERSON TABLE TO A LABOR TABLE (Which has a PersonID and Labor Code)

The Labor Code cell values are those named "Implementer" in the PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE TABLE.

So connection solved!  

Now a new issue...the SUPERVISOR name that displays is the person's number, i.e., 12345, and not their name.  Any tips on getting the Slicer to display their name?  

You probably need a 'lookup' table that has a unique list of Supervisor names and ID numbers. Use a relationship to join the ID numbers from both tables, then use the Supervisor name field in all your filters. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.