Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

russds
Frequent Visitor

Creating a Bar Graph with nested groups

I'm trying to recreate a tableau visual using power bi, but not finding an equavalant.  Does anyone know how I might recreate the below visual bar graph?  It's showing the labels for the bar graphs grouped.  It's a ticketing system, so it's showing the ticket assigned to, and their tickets, amount of time budgeted and spent. I've tried various bar graphs in power bi and the marketplace but haven't found something like this yet. Thanks! 

2019-05-25_9-26-16.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@russds there are few ways to do, you can use matrix visual and put both the table columns on rows and whatever value you want to show, put that measure on value. Next to value measure, in conditional formatting choose bar graph.

here is more detail on data bars (conditional formatting)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@russds there are few ways to do, you can use matrix visual and put both the table columns on rows and whatever value you want to show, put that measure on value. Next to value measure, in conditional formatting choose bar graph.

here is more detail on data bars (conditional formatting)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

This is great, thank you.  It's so close, and does give the breakdown i was looking for.  I'm also looking to combine a bar value with a benchmark, like the below screen shot.  Any idea how I can put another value along side the original value as a benchmark, ie the red lines? 

Thanks!

2019-05-25_23-02-50.jpg

@russds I don;t think you can add those red lines Other option you have is to use Line and Clustered Column chart 

You can assign and task to on x-axis and drill down to task, in format pane, turn off Concatenate Labels

And now you can use benchmark value on line, turn on marker and change stroke width to 0, you will get something like this

image.png

Thank you @parry2k , I was able to get a bar, and this looks great, except when i drill down 1) it's vertical which isn't pleasing for a long list like this, and 2) the tasks aren't grouped under a name, they appear as one long horizontal list. 

Not sure if there's anything else to try. Thank you, 

2019-05-26_7-27-22.jpg

@russds did you turned off concatenated labels?

image.png

wow you're fast. 🙂

Yes, I did, it's off. 

2019-05-26_7-40-33.jpg

@russds do one thing? Click on dots on top right corner and choose different column under sort by and check if bar graph changes, you can change back sort by once it works.

So close, now tasks are grouped by their assigned person. The tasks have long names and have ... at the end, anyway to shrink the size of the bars and increase the size of the labels? or anyway to flip the whole thing horizontally? 

Thank you! 

2019-05-26_7-50-05.jpg

@russds go thru these settings to see if it can get your label space etc, no horizontal option.

image.png

Adjusting those settings, did it! Allowing for more space for the text and less space for the bars, this is pretty much it, aside from being horizontal. I wish I could mark all of these as helpful, you've been an amazing help. Any final recommendations if I wanted to pursue horizontal, maybe a custom visual? Thank you, 

@russds glad it worked out. I hardly uses custom visuals, not sure if there is something available to achieve what you are looking for. If I come across something I will let you know.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.