Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Creating a Banking Merger Model in Power BI

Hi All,

I am currently working on creating a Banking Merger Model where I would like to simulate what the banking market looks like  when two entities merge. My raw data set consists of a single column of entity names (and other identification columns for the entity) and then 30+ columns of financial information realting to that entity.  There are three components to this:

1. Creating a view of the market based on market data (Completed)
  2. Creating a view of the merged entity by selecting the two entities (buyer and seller) from two seperate slicers, with a bunch of measures working in the background calcualting the aggregated values of the two entities to calcuate single values for the merged entity (Completed - with assistance from article below)

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/using-or-conditions-between-slicers-in-dax/

3. Creating a view of the market with the merged entity, excluding the two entities that were merged (Incomplete)

No. 3 i cannot currently complete as I cannot insert the merged entity into the market view and remove the two entities that merged from the market given I have used measures in step 2 and not actually created rows of data for the merged entity.

My current logic to approach this problem is that I would have to abandon the measures approach and work towards something like filtering out the two entities that I would like to merge from the master dataset, sum them, then union them back to master data set filtering out the two individual entities who merged. 

Has anyone done anything like this before/have any possible solutions? The aim is to have a dynamic dashboard and once the two entities (buyer and seller) have been selected in there slicers, all of the above calculations/visualisations can be formed. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

So you mean you want to create some dynamic tables/fields based on selection? If this is a case, current power bi does not support to create dynamic calculate column/table based on filters.
Filters can't really affect table records, they only interact with data view(visual level) records generated from data model tables. (you can't use child-level records to affect the parent level tables)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

So you mean you want to create some dynamic tables/fields based on selection? If this is a case, current power bi does not support to create dynamic calculate column/table based on filters.
Filters can't really affect table records, they only interact with data view(visual level) records generated from data model tables. (you can't use child-level records to affect the parent level tables)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Xiaoxin

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.