cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DuncanMelville
Regular Visitor

Creating a 24 month rolling forecast using prior 12 months actuals plus annual inflation

I am fairly new to PowerBI and need some direction on the best way to create a 24 month rolling forecast. I want to show the results of the calculated 24 months rolling forecast in one visualisation, and am unsure of the way to proceed.

In the Query Editor, I created two custom date columns to add 1 and 2 years to the actual transaction date.

In the Data View, I created two measures to calculate the year1 and year2 forecasts using the annual inflation from a separate table.

I now want to show the year 1 and year 2 calculated forecast in one visualisation and on one timeline. I don't want to have two separate visualisations. 

Should I create a calculated forecast table and push the year1 and year2 calculations into it? I would then be able to have one visualisation for the data.

I appreciate any advise on this.

Thanks, Duncan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DuncanMelville
Regular Visitor

Re: Creating a 24 month rolling forecast using prior 12 months actuals plus annual inflation

Thanks, Stachu. I found another way round this, but will need to come back to it in a while

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User II
Super User II

Re: Creating a 24 month rolling forecast using prior 12 months actuals plus annual inflation

you don't need the additional columns for the additional years - just additional rows in your calendar table (see how to create one here: https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/creating-a-simple-date-table-in-dax/)

then you expose your forecast and sales using the measures and you should be able to do so in one visual, as they will all share the time axis

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

Proud to be a Datanaut!

DuncanMelville
Regular Visitor

Thanks, Stachu. I found another way round this, but will need to come back to it in a while

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks Launched March 24th!

New Ranks Launched March 24th!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power BI Community!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Missed the Arun 'Triple A' event or want to revisit it? We've got you covered! Check out the video, Q&A, and slides now.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors