Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

leanns
Helper I
Helper I

Creating Tables of Text

Hello,

I'm fully sure this is possible but I'm taking data from a multiple lines column in a SharePoint List and splitting the values up by a delimiter. There are 4 of these columns and each value between each delimiter correspond. 

example: 

Description: text1;text2;text3

When: Date1;Date2;Date3

Best Action: value1;value2;value3

So text1, Name1, Date1, and value1 all go together and I want to show that as each individual line in a table within Power BI. 

I was able to create a new query for each column but now I need to combine them and I can't figure it out. I've tried merging and appending but it doesn't line the text up right. I've also tried to use the  Union(selectcoloumns()) commands in a table, but that also didn't work like I want. I am new to DAX Language so any help would be great. 

What I want is this: 

ID | Description | Contact | When | Best Action

Since these are all coming from the same SharePoint List item, I want to keep the ID that goes with them so I can add a slicer and filter by ID or by Contact etc. 

Thanks for any help given! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So I figured out how to make the table. I just needed to add an index column to merge the queries together and then expand the column from there. 

Thanks for the help though!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ElenaN
Resolver V
Resolver V

Hello,

For part of the solution you can use easily Power Query. You can load your table, open Power Query (Home -> Edit Queries). In Power Query you have to perform two Split Columns actions and a Transpose to get to your desired result without the ID column.

So, on the Transform Tab you go to Split Column by Delimiter button and you split by ":" and that will get you a column with the future header values. And then go again to Transform Tab -> Split Column by Delimiter and split by ";" and you will get your future values split in three different columns. Then, again on the Transform Tab -> Transpose Rows and you get your structure.

For the ID part i do not understand how do you get the information of an ID to link to your example. Maybe you can give more information related to this.

Regards,

ElenaN

@ElenaN Thank you for the help but the names Description, Contact, etc are already the header names. These are the different coloumns. My bad if I didn't specify that clearly. 

The ID value is from SharePoint. It basically the record number that is unique to each new record within the list. It's a value that is generated with each new item within the list. 

The data that is pulled from this list has a bunch of columns and information. 

To be fair, I'm not even sure if what I want is possible at the time being. 

So I figured out how to make the table. I just needed to add an index column to merge the queries together and then expand the column from there. 

Thanks for the help though!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.