Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JustinNoe
Helper I
Helper I

Creating Table for Contracts of X value over Y Date

Hi all - I need some help thinking through my current situation and the best way to structure/link my data within PowerBi so it will be reliable for many years down the road (assuming software changes don't break things).

Data Example:

Contract NameValueStart DateEnd DateFirst Year ValueSecond Year (Final year determined by latest end date)
Name1$50011/24/202001/01/2021auto fillauto fillauto fill
Name2$1,00001/01/202101/01/2022auto fillauto fillauto fill
Name3$500,00005/20/202201/20/2030autofillauto fillauto fill

Overview of what we are trying to do:

Right now we have a very disorganized spreadsheet that takes the Value of a Contract and splits the value into a year by year record based on the contract Start Date & End Date This allows us to see how much we expect to bring in year over year and get an outlook for the next 6+ years.

Now, this is where things get kind of tricky:

Name3 Example:

We can't just do $500k / (# of months between start/end date) because the first year, 2022, only has 8 months (including 5/2022), and 2023 has 12 full months of $.

We have over 400 contracts and some are over 10 years so the process needs to be structured in a way where we can easily filter by year.

I am thinking the best way for this would be to use a DAX formula that I can take the contract name, divide value by # of months (length of contract), and then get a year over year total (this part trips me up because I don't know how I can figure out if there are 12 months worth of $ or just 8, ect.)

Once I get this figure for Year x $, Year Y $, ect, I am also struggling to figure out the best way to display that in a table so I can have it displayed correctly in a visual when filters are applies.

Hopefully that explanation made some sense. I've been trying to wrap my head around the best way to approach this and structure everything over the last few days. I would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions some of your experience users may have.

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

This is getting me on the right track for sure!

What I need to do is break the contract, ext... a 5 year contract worth 5 million starting on nov 2020 and ending on March 2025, break that 5 million down into a month value, and then sum the months into a year over year total. 

We don't care about our month to month totals but are looking ahead 4-8 years down the road on what contracts we have. 

I think this will get me started in the right direction, I just need to manipulate those formulas/measures to get the results I need. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.