Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sokatenaj
Helper III
Helper III

Creating Relationships & Matching - Need some help

Hi Folks,

I have two tables. One table is all applicants and one table is filled/hires. I want to create a relationship between the two tables by the "Candidate Name" field, but unfortunately since the applicant table has 10 of the same name applying to different jobs I cannot create a relationship because it is looking for unique values and Power BI  just won't do it.  

Additionally on my applicant table I have a field I that says "current status name" with a field that says "Linked". I want to say, if 'Applicant'[Name] that have a status of  'Applicant'[Current status name]="Linked" and that Applicant Name matches the name in 'Filled'[Name] then write MATCH, otherwise "Not Matched". Does this make sense? 

Any help would be most welcome and appreciated. I've spent two days on this and just can't get anything to work. It's important to know the other correlation I need is just the NAME field on the hires table because the job IDs don't need to match. Only the name. Please and thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @sokatenaj,

Additionally on my applicant table I have a field I that says "current status name" with a field that says "Linked". I want to say, if 'Applicant'[Name] that have a status of  'Applicant'[Current status name]="Linked" and that Applicant Name matches the name in 'Filled'[Name] then write MATCH, otherwise "Not Matched". 

If I understand you correctly, you should be able to use the formula below to create a new calculate column in this scenario. Smiley Happy

Column =
IF (
    Applicant[Current Status Name] = "Linked"
        && CONTAINS (
            Filled,
            Filled[Candidate Identifier], Applicant[Candidate Identifier]
        ),
    "Match",
    "Not Matched"
)

c1.PNG

Regards

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @sokatenaj,

Could you post your table structures with some sample/mock data, and the expected result against the data? So that we can better assist on this issue? Smiley Happy

Regards

Hi @v-ljerr-msft,

Here you go. As a reminder, I cannot create a relationship because the candidate name and candidat identifier in the applicant table can show up 10 times if they applied to multiple jobs. So I need to think of a different way to validate that there is a "match". Hope this helps. Thanks so much!!!

Applicant Table

Job IDNameCandidate IdentifierPosting TitleDepartment NumberDepartment NameRecruiter NameHiring Manager NameCurrent Req StatusFirst Fully Approved DateLatest Cancelled DateLatest Filled DateCurrent Step NameCurrent Status Name
3042478Mouse, Mickey124555Cartoon CharacterCART123DisneyDisney, WaltBlah, BlahApproved6/28/2017  OpenNew
5448848Duck, Daisy128487Cartoon CharacterCART222ForestDisney, WaltBlah, BlahApproved6/28/2017  OpenAwaiting Response - Email
6545644Duck, Darkwing585456Disney DudeCART124DisneyDisney, WaltBlah, BlahApproved6/28/2017  OpenLinked
5998895Chipmunk, Alvin868677Music DudeCART222SevilleBagdasarian, RossHa, BlahApproved6/28/2017  OpenAwaiting Response - Email
3042478Duck, Darkwing585456Disney DudeCART124DisneyDisney, WaltBlah, BlahApproved6/28/2017  OpenAwaiting Response - Email

Filled Table

Job IDNameCandidate IdentifierPosting TitleRecruiter NameHiring Manager NameCurrent Req StatusFirst Fully Approved DateLatest Cancelled DateLatest Filled DateCurrent Step Name
1000877Mouse, Mickey124555Cartoon CharacterDisney, WaltBlah, BlahFilled6/28/2017 7/2/2017Offer Accepted
8878787Duck, Darkwing585456Chipunks BandDisney, WaltBlah, BlahFilled6/28/2017 7/2/2017Offer Accepted

Hi @sokatenaj,

Additionally on my applicant table I have a field I that says "current status name" with a field that says "Linked". I want to say, if 'Applicant'[Name] that have a status of  'Applicant'[Current status name]="Linked" and that Applicant Name matches the name in 'Filled'[Name] then write MATCH, otherwise "Not Matched". 

If I understand you correctly, you should be able to use the formula below to create a new calculate column in this scenario. Smiley Happy

Column =
IF (
        && CONTAINS (
            Filled,
        ),
    "Match",
    "Not Matched"
)

c1.PNG

Regards

Hi @v-ljerr-msft,

This was exactly what I needed. Thanks so much! 

@v-ljerr-msft,

Is there any way to add a date criteria to this? I tried multiple ways in the logic and kept getting syntax errors. I want to also add to only show up as a match if the "Latest Filled Date" is 6/1/17 or later. 

Hi @sokatenaj,

The formula below should work. Smiley Happy

Column =
IF (
        && CONTAINS (
            Filled,
        )
        && Applicant[Latest Filled Date] >= DATE ( 2017, 6, 1 ),
    "Match",
    "Not Matched"
)

Regards

Hi @v-ljerr-msft,

Thanks for this. Funny enough that is where I placed it on my own originally but I get the error "A single value for column 'Hired Date' in table 'Taleo Hires' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result." -- why would I need to aggregate the results? 

Hi @sokatenaj,

Could you post the whole formula you're using, so that I can help further investigate on it? Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.