Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

anil
Helper III
Helper III

Creating Range Buckets using Average per Category ID

Hi,

My dataset has ID's with multiple orders. I am trying to calculate average discount across orders per ID.

Avg Discount % = CALCULATE(AVERAGE(Sample[DISCOUNTPERCENT]),Sample,VALUES(Sample[ID]))

And creating a column to bucket the averages of ID's.

Bucket = Switch ( True(),
                           And( [Avg Discount %]>=-10 ,[Avg Discount %] < Sample[Fixed TMax Var 5%]) , "Green",
                           And( [Avg Discount %]>=Sample[Fixed TMax Var 5%],[Avg Discount %] < Sample[Fixed TMax Var 15%]) , "Yellow",
                           And(  [Avg Discount %] >= Sample[Fixed TMax Var 15%],[Avg Discount %] < 500),  "Red"
                         )

But The result I am getting from the calculate column Bucket is incorrect.B1.JPG

The dataset has 49 ID's, But in the Bucket range, it is showing 46+14 = 60 which is incorrect.

Please help me to achieve the expected result. 

Also tried it in a different method. First created a calculated column for Average Discount per ID:

Avg Discount %C = 
CALCULATE(AVERAGE('Sample'[DISCOUNTPERCENT]),ALLEXCEPT(('Sample'),'Sample'[ID]
))

But this calculated column I am unable to filter by dates. When I filter by say Year Month the average values are constant per ID. The filters are not applied to the calculated column.

Help me with the calculation to filter the column by date so I can implement the column to create the bucket.

PBIX File:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/8o8jo1676fsb36p/SampleB.pbix?dl=0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @anil,

That's because the "Allexcept" cleared the context. Please try the formula below or adjust it.

Avg Discount % =
CALCULATE (
    AVERAGE ( Sample[DISCOUNTPERCENT] ),
    ALLEXCEPT ( 'Sample', Sample[ID], 'Sample'[Order Date].[Year] )
)

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
anil
Helper III
Helper III

Hi,
My dataset has ID's with multiple orders. I am trying to calculate average discount across orders per ID.

Avg Discount % = CALCULATE(AVERAGE(Sample[DISCOUNTPERCENT]),Sample,VALUES(Sample[ID]))

And creating if condition on the above created measure, and also want to slice by date.

Bucket = Switch ( True(),
                           And( [Avg Discount %]>=-10 ,[Avg Discount %] < Sample[Fixed TMax Var 5%]) , "Green",
                           And( [Avg Discount %]>=Sample[Fixed TMax Var 5%],[Avg Discount %] < Sample[Fixed TMax Var 15%]) , "Yellow",
                           And(  [Avg Discount %] >= Sample[Fixed TMax Var 15%],[Avg Discount %] < 500),  "Red"

But The result I am getting from the calculate column Bucket is incorrect.B1.JPG

The dataset has 49 ID's, But in the Bucket range, it is showing 46+14 = 60 which is incorrect.
Please help me to achieve the expected result. 

PBIX File:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/8o8jo1676fsb36p/SampleB.pbix?dl=0

anil
Helper III
Helper III

Please help me with solution. Tried different methods but unable to crack it.

Hi @anil,

The [Avg Discount %C] works in my test. Please try it as a measure.

Avg Discount % =
CALCULATE (
    ALLEXCEPT ( 'Sample', Sample[ID] )
)

Creating_Range_Buckets_using_Average_per_Category_ID

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Dale for the reply,

If we use the measure the average is constant even if we slice using the date.  Which is incorrect.

Eg. If we filter ID say: E50XN and filter year = 2010 the  Average remains the same 45.43, where the actual Average is  100.

What I understood is the created measure is not affected by the date slicer.t56.JPG

Please help me with solution. Tried different methods but unable to crack it.

Hi @anil,

That's because the "Allexcept" cleared the context. Please try the formula below or adjust it.

Avg Discount % =
CALCULATE (
    ALLEXCEPT ( 'Sample', Sample[ID], 'Sample'[Order Date].[Year] )
)

Best Regards,

Dale

Thank You @v-jiascu-msft

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.