Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Creating Groups - not saving edits

I've created a Description group (hundreds of products - trying to group them by product family) and have 12 groups so far.  Is there a limit to the number of groups as when I edit to add more they do not get saved.

Worse case scenario, I add a column to the dataset and create families that way, but really wanted to try using the Group feature.

Thanks in advance,

Dawn

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestion.  I checked and that's the version that I'm running.  Tried it again and still not working.  I went ahead and added a column to my table and put group names in there to use for now.

View solution in original post

Hi,
Im having the same issue with edits to groups not saving, appears to be a bug. 

Version: 2.76.5678.782 64-bit (December 2019)

Create new file, Enter data > (add some data)
Edit query > New group (add a group) > Ok
Edit query > Edit group (make an edit) > Ok
Edit query > Edit group (changes made in previous edit have not saved)

If you save, close and reopen the file inbetween edits in the edit group window then changes are saved.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
WallyWallWal
Helper I
Helper I

I am having the same problem with the February 2021 version.  Super frustrating to make groups, save the file, just to reopen it to work on the following day and have my groups by GONE! 

Version: 2.90.1081.0 64-bit (February 2021)

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having the same issue on Version: 2.76.5678.782 64-bit (December, 2019).

Groups used to work before, I tested that on Version: 2.72.5556.801 64-bit (August, 2019) and it worked.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same issue here, very frustrating.  Running version 2.76.5678.782 64-bit (December, 2019)

cclark

@Anonymous I'm having the same issue on Version: 2.76.5678.782 64-bit (December, 2019).

Very frustrating as my groups are quite dynamic and the feature was working well until about the fall of last year. Hope they come up with a bug fix soon! You're not alone.

VasTg
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Anonymous 

I don't see any limitation as i tried till 30 groups.

Documentation:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-grouping-and-binning

If this helps, mark it as a solution.

Kudos are nice too.

Connect on LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's the reference page I was using, but when editing it's not saving the additional groups.  Everything looks fine, I click OK and they go back in and they ones past the first 12 are gone.  Very weird.

@Anonymous 

Could you share the PBIX file if it is not sensitive?

Connect on LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

I may be able to make a file without the sensitive info.  I'll play with it tonight and see what I can do.  Thank you for your time!

Hi @Anonymous ,

You may upgrade the Power BI Desktop to the latest version 2.76.5678.782, and try it again .

Best Regards,

Amy

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,
Im having the same issue with edits to groups not saving, appears to be a bug. 

Version: 2.76.5678.782 64-bit (December 2019)

Create new file, Enter data > (add some data)
Edit query > New group (add a group) > Ok
Edit query > Edit group (make an edit) > Ok
Edit query > Edit group (changes made in previous edit have not saved)

If you save, close and reopen the file inbetween edits in the edit group window then changes are saved.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestion.  I checked and that's the version that I'm running.  Tried it again and still not working.  I went ahead and added a column to my table and put group names in there to use for now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.