Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Creating Filters that use "OR" instead of "AND" across multiple columns - Live Data Source

Hi Everyone

My First Post 🙂

I am getting stuck into Power BI Desktop, i am currently connected to a Live Data Source on a PPM system that we use at our company, a tabular model on said system is updating on a cycle and is directly feeding th Power BI report as a result, giving us some neat live reports for our execs. 

Something that has been troubling me is the fact that there is some limitations around what i can do with live data, for example, i cannot create custom measures/quick measures on the Power BI side (the functionality is disabled as its a live data source) the measures need to be built directly into the Tabular model on the application side so they feed into Power BI to be used.... quite annoying and expensive to do sometimes. 

anyway, one of these restrictions is the ability to filter using an OR function instead of AND. 

i have a couple of columns that indicate some of our project catagories, i want to be able to show certain project information in a Power BI table that contains certain information in Column A (easily solved with a filter/slicer) however, i ALSO want to show on the same table, project information that contains certain information on Column B. 

the problem with conventional filters is that when i slice by Column A, those projects that dont have Column B information then filter out.... because they dont have Column A information. 

hope this makes sense, quite long winded 🙂 

I reffered to the post - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Need-Slicer-s-to-Filter-Multiple-Date-Columns-on-Single-Tab... 

however, it seems to be useful for Offline data sources only, not Live 🙂 

Any assistance you could provide would be most appreciated.

Regards

Mr_Joe 

4 REPLIES 4
cnweke
Resolver II
Resolver II

It's possible but it's kind of a stretch. A cross-join would to the trick, essentially you'd have information of A and B.

Refer to https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/using-or-conditions-between-slicers-in-dax/

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cnweke wrote:

It's possible but it's kind of a stretch. A cross-join would to the trick, essentially you'd have information of A and B.

Refer to https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/using-or-conditions-between-slicers-in-dax/

Thank you very much for the response, i will give this a shot and update this post in due time 🙂 - it will be interesting if it works as its a live source 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous -

You could try the following:

1. Create a copy of the project table. You can do this with a Calculated Table:

Project Copy = Project

2. Create an Inactive relationship between your new table and your fact table.

3. Create a measure for each piece of information you want to display. The measures for the Copy table will need to have 2 Filter context modifiers:

a. ALL(Project), so that the original project table has no affect.

b. USERELATIONSHIP to activate the relationship to the Copy table, so that it will have an affect.

4. If you include both tables, unfiltered, the table visual would contain the cartesian product number of rows. You'd want to filter tha.

Cheers!

Nathan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, apologies its a been a long week, the first solution suggested unfortunatly didnt work, alot of the functionality appears to be disabled because of the data source being used and i have yet to attempt the solution above, and im heading on annual leave tomorrow 🙂 - so i will be sure to give this a shot when i am back, i actually linked our suppliers to this thread (the ones who host the application along with the tabular model we use as our data source) will be interesting to see what they suggest too.

many thanks for your assistance so far guys. and sorry for the slow reply, unfortunatly my PowerBI report hasnt been the centre of attention this week lol.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.