Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

grggmrtn
Post Patron
Post Patron

Creating DaysLIst rows between start/stop dates, while limiting how many? [M]

In order to slice dates the way I need to, I use a code to add a rowfor each day between a start and stop date in my table. The table looks something like this:

Person	Service	Start date	Stop date
1	a	15-06-2016	27-10-2016
2	b	21-04-2016	06-10-2016
3	c	23-08-2016	17-01-2017

and the code I add to this to create a row for each day between start and stop is

#"Added DaysList" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added something", "DaysList", each 
        List.Dates([Start date], 1 + Duration.TotalDays([Stop date] - [Start date]), #duration(1,0,0,0))),
    #"ExpandedDaysList" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added DaysList", "DaysList"),
    #"Changed type DaysList" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"ExpandedDaysList",{{"DaysList", type date}})

My problem is when a service is still running (aka no stop date). My data creates the date "31.12.9999" to indicate a missing stop date, and that's obviously going to give me a LOT of unnecessary rows, especially since I use COUNT measures to find out how many days people have received a specific service (number of DaysList).

So (I think) what I need to do is figure out how to code "if [Stop date] = "31.12.9999" then [Stop date] = "isn't finished yet".

But of course, that's going to give me problems with my slicer, since "isn't finished yet" is text and the rest are dates...

I tried just doing a simple calculated column

#"Added New Stop Date" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Something else here", "New Stop date", each if 
        [Stop date] > DateTime.Date(DateTime.LocalNow()) then 
        DateTime.Date(DateTime.LocalNow()) else 
        [Stop date], type date),

which makes my slicer sing (since I'm not interested in all the days after today when I'm counting how long someone has been getting a service), but that's not telling me who really stopped today and who just has today as stopdate because they're not finished yet.

I hope I'm making a bit of sense, and someone can help me figure out how to limit the DaysList?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @grggmrtn 

You could add another flag column for that's who really stopped today and who just has today as stopdate after you doing a simple calculated column.

Then use this column for slicer or as a flag.

If not your case, please share more sample data and your expected output.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @grggmrtn 

You could add another flag column for that's who really stopped today and who just has today as stopdate after you doing a simple calculated column.

Then use this column for slicer or as a flag.

If not your case, please share more sample data and your expected output.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hey @v-lili6-msft thanks for looking at this. I came to the same conclusion, should have thought of it earlier 😉

Thanks 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.