Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Creating Connection in model stuck

Hi Guys, 

I am trying to refresh my Power BI report but it is stuck on "creating connection in model".

Steps taken: 

1. Turned off automatically creating connections from options 
  2. narrowed down the excel file size from which the data is derived (it now has 7478 rows and 13 columns) 

it still is stuck, any ideas what to do?

Thanks!

Best,

Mays

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

First, please tell me some basic information:

Do you connect to excel files with power bi desktop?

Is the data in excel file from outside source?

To end the refresh process, please open task manager, find the "Microsoft Mashup Evalution", this is the process for connecting in power bi, end the task of this.

In Power bi desktop, to improve the performance when connecting, please turn off options below in Options and Settings->Data load:

'Relationship","Time Intelligence","Backgroud data","parallel loading of tables".

Besides, please check if any blank column from excel(your data source) is loaded into Power bi.

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
joesciandra
Regular Visitor

This is not solved.

joesciandra
Regular Visitor

I am also having the same issue.  I connect to both excel spreadsheets and database tables.

alifazal
Helper I
Helper I

im having the same issue except im connecting to a data base and my connection to model works and loads but it has stopped showing me the number of rows that are being loaded on ?

I tried using the suggested solution  and unchecked time intelligence along with other toggles but im dealing with the same issue. This is apparent for all my reports not just one and theyve never done that in the past?

Alifazal, are you querying a database table with more than a million rows?  It seems that for me, when I hit 1.3M rows this behavior started happening.  Just curious if that has anything to do with it.

Joe

alifazal
Helper I
Helper I

im having the same issue except im connecting to a data base and my connection to model works and loads but it has stopped showing me the number of rows that are being loaded on ?

Same issue. My load usually takes 7 hours, but at least I can see how many rows it's loading and tell that it's making progress. Today, It stopped telling me how many rows were being loaded and just sits on "Creating connection in model..."

Is there any way to know that it's running and not just stuck? I'd hate to wait 7 hours and then not have results.

The data loaded for me.  I just could not tell how many rows were loaded into each object which creates a validation concern.  I check these counts to make sure new data loaded properly.  With this bug, I can't validate which bothers me.

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Is this problem sloved? 

If it is sloved, could you kindly accept it as a solution to close this case and help the other members find it more quickly?

If not, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards

Maggie

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

First, please tell me some basic information:

Do you connect to excel files with power bi desktop?

Is the data in excel file from outside source?

To end the refresh process, please open task manager, find the "Microsoft Mashup Evalution", this is the process for connecting in power bi, end the task of this.

In Power bi desktop, to improve the performance when connecting, please turn off options below in Options and Settings->Data load:

'Relationship","Time Intelligence","Backgroud data","parallel loading of tables".

Besides, please check if any blank column from excel(your data source) is loaded into Power bi.

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank You Maggie Li. This is work for me perfectly. Now I'm not getting connecting error issue.. Thanks for your kind help.

Regards,

PowerBIBeginer, Mumbai, India.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak ,

This may be a very basic question, but where exactly do I place the FilterToggle in my query editor? 

Many Thanks, 

Mays

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.