Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

psm2000
Regular Visitor

Creating Bar Chart with embedded icons

PowerBI Gurus:  

I'm new to PowerBI. I'm trying create simple enough bar chart but I want national flags embedded in the chart beside name of the country etc. Best example that I'm trying to emulate is here: 

https://www.statista.com/chart/7246/the-countries-with-the-fastest-internet/ 

I'm not sure if this can be done in PowerBI without manually placing the icons in their place. I want to get as close to this as possible. Also if not PowerBI, which other BI tool can do this? I've access to Tableau but I rather work in PowerBI. 

Note: I am aware I can place icons in a slicer after uploading them to web somewhere (local icons did not work for me). 

Thank you in advance. 

P

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tringuyenminh92
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @psm2000,

You could add ChicletSlicer from app store and try to configure properties: Height of items, Image Split % and Padding to fit your bar chart (Remember to change Data Category of Flag image url to URL Link)

0.PNG1.PNG

If this works for you please accept it as solution and also like to give KUDOS.

Best regards
Tri Nguyen

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AlexQuislev22
Regular Visitor

Hi, I'm Alexander; beginner in Power BI; If you say that you need a fairly simple graph with the country icons in a bar graph, what I would do is create a table with a list of countries and in it a column with the url of the country icons; then load the url column into the "Rows" field of an array and the rest of the numeric data or measurements you want in the "values" field of the array. Then the column of numerical values or measures of the matrix you give "conditional format" / "Data Bar" you assign a color to your bars and ready already would be something quite similar as you will observe my example. Hope this can help you. Greetings from Peru.

https://goo.gl/NuKShx

tringuyenminh92
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @psm2000,

You could add ChicletSlicer from app store and try to configure properties: Height of items, Image Split % and Padding to fit your bar chart (Remember to change Data Category of Flag image url to URL Link)

0.PNG1.PNG

If this works for you please accept it as solution and also like to give KUDOS.

Best regards
Tri Nguyen

Thank you for both suggestions. I'll go with chiclet slicer as the closest thing I can get to having this functionality in PowerBI.

If anyone knows of the tool that can do this correctly, please leave a note here.

Thank you. 

@psm2000 Not a direct match, but you could use the infographic designer to use the flag as the bar I believe... If I recall correctly you can insert imagest use with this custom viz, outside of that, I don't believe you can achieve that exact layout quite yet in Power BI out of box.

It may be possible to layer several images. For instance, make sure the same top 5 show up in a both a table or multi-card visual behind a bar chart. You'd have to mess around to see if you could get it to work.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.