Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TM_AC
Helper II
Helper II

Created report with PowerBIDesktop but cannot view it with PowerBI App

Hi,

I created a report with PowerBI desktop and published it. Now I wanted to present this report to some employees.
Therefore I downloaded PowerBI App from MS-store. I logged in to my account and selected the published report, but it just shows this:

PowerBIApp.png

I think it has to to with the data category of my report. All tables are set to 'Import',.

I don't have created any gateway since currently we don't have PowerBI Pro.
I just wonder why PowerBI desktop can present the data and PowerBI app cannot.

Is there any way to present the report to the user using PowerBI desktop?
I think of a kind of presentation mode where I cannot edit the report anymore.
(For this purpose I donwloaded PowerBI app as well, but as we can see here it seems I need a gateway)

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TM_AC ,

Could you please tell me can you download the pbix file and open it successfully? Can you see the report successfully?

Think this is it...

Setting the right permissions for users of composite models 

If I have misunderstood your meaning, please provide more details with the issue.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

PC2790
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hey @TM_AC ,

You don't need a gateway unless and until you are looking to refresh your data.

For presentation purpose, you can publish your report to the service in your account and then view it from there.

Publish the report- Publish from Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

View the report - View a report - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

You can also go to the specific workspace where the report is published to view the report.

Just to add, if you are not looking to share the reports you don't need any explicit license.

You can do it is a free user as well.

More about licensing-https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-licensing-organization#:~:text=There%2....

TM_AC
Helper II
Helper II

@amitchandak thanks for helping, unfortunately nothing happens if I click on 'show details' on any of the visuals.

What I think is that PowerBI App works cloud based same as if I publish reports and therefore I need a gateway to my local database.

Is there any way to run some kind of presentation mode directly in PowerBI Desktop?
I just want to present some reports without suddenly editing visuals, move them accidently, etc.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@TM_AC , can you click on show details and share the error details in text format

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.