Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

twister8889
Helper V
Helper V

Create the relationship between tables

Hi guys,

I would like to create a relationship between some tables with common fields (Department, Team, Month) these are my filters. Currently, my relationship is many to many because I have duplicates values by all tables (it's duplicate because the table was built by multiples identical files separated each one by clients). In this model, I have problems, when I select the Department from Table5 only the chart/table by Table6 are affecteds. 

What is the best way to solve this model? 
-Create one only table with Month, Department, Team, and a primary key Month&Deparment&Team (table7)?
-All tables will have the primary key Month&Department&Team to link with table7?
-The calendar table will be linked with Month in table7?

Obs: If it's correct to create a unique key Month&Department&Team, it's possible to create a serial number to this combination? 

model.png

4 REPLIES 4
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@twister8889 

1)  you should create a Calendar Table covering the full range of dates included in your fact tables: create a one-to-many relationship with all your date fields in the fact tables. If any of your fact tables has a different granularity (month vs date), create a bridge table using a YYYYMM key and link this bridge table with the calendar table and the affected fact tables, again, with a one-to many relationship.

2) create dimension tables for all common fields (at the lowest hierarchy) in your fact tables with unique values and create one-to-many relationships with your fact tables (do not include fields related to calendar fields.).

3) Avoid at all costs many-to-many relationships. (They cause havoc)

if you can provide a sample dataset we can build a mockup to help you.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@twister8889 - So, couple ways to do this. Not sure where your many-to-many is though or what is causing it in the data. But yes, combo keys are a good, tried and true method but I always build them like this:

Key = [Column1] & "-" & [Column2] & "-" & [Column3]

I put the separators in to avoid clashes like:

9 999 matching 99 99 for example. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

First of all, thank you for your answer...

-OK, I will create this key, but It's possible to transform the key to number by these three columns? (Month Department Team) as 1?

-Its better use concatenate & "-" or can I use Merge Columns?

About the many-to-many, I will validate but is between table 1 and table 4

Thank you.

Hi @twister8889 ,

There are a few documents about data model. You could reference them to optimize your model.

Understand star schema and the importance for Power BI 

Many-to-many relationship guidance 

Bi-directional relationship guidance 

Relationship troubleshooting guidance 

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.