Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

tgruenheit

Create slicer from two unrelated tables to deselect a combined value

Dear community,

I am trying to create a new slicer for a financial report that needs to combine entries from two unrelated tables.

I got the following two tables: REGION and BUSINESS UNIT

Table REGION contains:

• AMERICAS
  • ASIA PACIFIC
  • EMEA

Table BUSINESS UNIT contains:

• Premium
  • Consumer
  • Industrial
  • ...(several more entries)

My aim is to create be able to deselect the combination "ASIA PACIFIC" & "Consumer" from a given report.

I already created a new table combining the two tables using the GENERATE function

GENERATE (table REGION, table BUSINESS UNIT)

Besides, I added a new column to find the combination of ASIA PACIFIC and Consumer, which gives me the following

Table REGION & BUSINESS UNIT

RegionBusiness              ASIA PACIFIC & Consumer
EMEAPremiumNO
EMEAConsumerNO
EMEAIndustrialNO
ASIA PACIFIC           ConsumerYES

I linked the original tables REGION and BUSINESS UNIT to this new table on the relevant columns (REGION on REGION and BUSINESS UNIT on BUSINESS UNIT) using a 1:M relationship.

However, when I pull in the new column "ASIA PACIFIC & Consumer" and try to select "YES" or "NO" the figures in the report at not responding at all.

I assume that it is due to the 1:M relationship of my new table and it might be to wrong approach to begin with.

'

Hopefully, some of you smart guys have a suggestion on this matter and on how to solve it. 

Looking forward to your proposals and wish you a great weekend once you get there.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @tgruenheit ,

Altough this two tables are unrelated are they related with the other table you have your main data, where you want to make the calculations?

If you already have a relationship between those tables and the other one you can turn on the filtering for both sides and one will influence the other.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @tgruenheit ,

Altough this two tables are unrelated are they related with the other table you have your main data, where you want to make the calculations?

If you already have a relationship between those tables and the other one you can turn on the filtering for both sides and one will influence the other.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

@MFelix  thanks mate, this seems to work out. I changed the setting on one of the relationships and that seems to do the job. Appreciate your swift reply. 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.